Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began to hear a clanking niose when going from Drive to reverse. We put it on a lift, checked the U-joints, and trans mounts, all ok. Pulled the rear cover and the spider gears are all loose. A month ago I put new rear oil in, along with the Gm additive. things quieted down, until now.

The gears are shot, there is a lot of play in them. I was wondering where I should to get replacements.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Zap's house... sawdust...

No idea bro...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The rear end is fine! Its whats in your head thats making all the noise' If there was something more than a pea & a rock in there it would'nt clank" Spray some of that foam insulation in your ear & fill that empty vessel to dampen the noise!

BTW" I see them on both boards in PFS sections all the time.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Got exactly the same problem here.I wonder if Gm still carries them?

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Originally posted by Turbo_Tim:
I began to hear a clanking niose when going from Drive to reverse. We put it on a lift, checked the U-joints, and trans mounts, all ok. Pulled the rear cover and the spider gears are all loose. A month ago I put new rear oil in, along with the Gm additive. things quieted down, until now.

The gears are shot, there is a lot of play in them. I was wondering where I should to get replacements.
Is it a posi? If the clutches are worn out, the spider gears will be loose. There are shims that fit behind the clutch packs and "preload" the side gears, keeping them tight and quiet. But if you need replacments, GM should have them.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ormand, I'll take a look into that!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My local T/R guy says this is from the clutches wearing out. He has clutch packs for 80 bucks. I'll post in a couple of weeks, and let you all know the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts