Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone figure this out,I just changed chips in my 86 GN. from stock to a Thrasher 92 anti-theft.
On the highway the car drives and pulls hard.
But at WOT I'm having troubles,the car goes into a spasm, shifts stupid boost goes nuts
Theres a puff of smoke coming out the tail pipes when I hammer down!I can't even figure out how much boost I running ,because the gauge goes all crazy!
I'm running to high of boost?
What can I do?

------------------
86 What a year! One bad ass BUICK after another.
Manitoba Grand National Association

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Make sure the Thrasher chip is installed correctly first"If it is"Then I would put the stock chip back in before I really messed something up!Im not sure but when i put a Thrasher chip in my car it really screw up Idled up & down when cold"Surged "backfired unsteady boost"I had to put a new ecm & my old reds in it to correct the problem.It may have been just the ECM's time to go?But ill never put a thrasher back in my car again.

------------------
Keith Davis--Moneypit 86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & matched intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,CC 206-206 cam'Postons headers,Orange stripe conv.THDP,2 1/2 exhaust'Hooker comp. mufflers'SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What boost gauge?? The factory one?? They aren't worth a hoot.

Have these mods done??

SCANTOOL REQUIRED!?!?
Good hot wired fuel pump (Walbro 307,340, or XP)?
237 (prefer adjustable) fuel regulator? (45 psi static fuel pressure)
Adjustable wastegate?
Spring cleaning done?
30lb boost gauge??

Probably getting lots of retard from to lean or to much boost. Could be lots of things but need a scantool to know for sure. Flying blind without a scantool and boost gauge is dangerous to your motor's health.

------------------
Chad Schwartz (Mr. URL Sir-Links-A-Lot)
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

"The Need For Speed" Website
Cars, pictures, movies, screen savers, tech info, links, and more!

Alcohol Injection
Quick Links

'87 Grand National ([email protected] 1.70 60ft) 91 octane pump gas, 22 degree Extender, SMC alchy
'86 T-Type WH1 Under construction
'79 Hurst/Olds

·
Registered
22,915 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 92 thrasher. it runs fine anywhere under about 7 pounds of boost, then if I hammer it, or even give it 1/2 throttle, boost goes crazy and there is absolutly NO power, and my car lunges and stuff, I also get lots of knock reard from my scanmaster. NOt too sure why, I run 100 octane, 45 pounds of fuel pressure, and 17 pounds of boost. pretty wierd, I just gave up and put my old mini mag back in and my car runs fine.

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Is this a demo profile you downloaded or bought from a non reputable person? It sounds like the way a demo thrasher works.

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by TurboJim:
Is this a demo profile you downloaded or bought from a non reputable person? It sounds like the way a demo thrasher works.

give us the names of the non reputable people!

I am especially interested in the women on the list!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am having the same problem right now with a Thrasher 92 with anti theft. Anyone figure out the problem? My scantool doesn't show any problems. The car is running better than ever as far as idle and dirvebility is concerned. I have all the things set up the way the chip wants and anything more than 7 psi of boost and she goes nuts. Gonna go back to my JC 93 chip today and see if it goes away.

Dan

·
Retired
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
One other thing to consider, and that is nearly every case of a car running poorly with a Thrasher was traced back to some other malfunctioning or maladjusted component, such as a creaky MAF, bad IAC setting, bad TPS setting, and even a wrong throttle-return spring! Stock-based chips will hide a multitude of sins, which is why some people report the problems go away when they revert back to an older chip. The problems are still there, they are just covered up by the stock-cal chip.

From the Thrasher instruction sheet:

"Due to the nature of this product, and to offer these special features, the Thrasher is much more sensitive to misadjusted components/sensors/systems than other chips. It is important that all systems be in spec and operational for the Thrasher to perform properly."

[This message has been edited by Russ (edited August 25, 2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts