Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my car set at 17psi on my 92 thrasher, but when I crank the wastegate rod as short as it will go(at least 10 turns), it only hits 20psi on the 108 thrasher. I still have some threads left, so I think I will cut the rod so I can go shorter. But is this normal? I thought 1 length has 1 associated boost for the same car.

So now I think I can be faster with my street chip and running a lot of boost with around 100octane because I can't hit full boost with my 108. I'll find out on friday.

------------------
1987 GN 14" K&N, Accel yellow tops, adj. wastegate, adj. FPR, XP Armstrong hotwired, 160*-stat, Hooker 2.5" catback exaust, Thrasher chips, shift kit, trans cooler, vdo boost/oil/temp guages, scanmaster v2.1, T-Link, Kirban's front/rear frame braces, Hotchkis lower control arms, variable rate rear springs, GNX wanna-be rims, and the rest is stock as far as I can tell...or too meaningless to list.

1987 Cavalier Z24 daily driver. 3-chamber flowmaster and 135db worth of stereo.

Shaun

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm... You're right, 1 turn = 1# of boost - at least that is the way mine works. 10 turns seems like an awful lot. I have five about full turns and am running 20#. Thrashers do like a lot of boost.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
also depends upon age of the actuator spring and the functioning of the solenoid. And then, The Thrasher used to be programmed to run more boost in low gear than in third....it may also vary with the amount of timing in the chip but I am not sure about that. It was designed for near stock combinations and may not have allowed as much boost with higher timings....UNGN might know the answer to that one.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wastegate soleniod has less than 4000 miles on it. Today, I added 10 gallons of 100 octane and 1 gallon of 108 to my 5 gallons of 25%108/75%91 already in the tank. I cranked up the wastegate 5 turns and it hit 23psi with .5* of knock on the thrasher 92. The boost seems to build faster with the 92 chip. The car felt faster than ever.

When I get to the track tomorrow, I will dump in 5 gallons of 108 and turn the boost up 2 more turns or so. My theory is: less timing and a lot more boost is better than extra timing and not enough boost. I'll have the 108 with me just in case...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts