Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well seems my car charges when it wants to still??I have never saw the charge light on the dash work" But Im told if it dont it want charge? I have pulled the bulb & installed a known good bulb in it & still no light. I do have the dig dash" If you have one would you tell me if it lights up when key is turned on cause mine never has? I can get the car to start charging again if I run the battary down & then recharge it" I know its weird but it has worked a couple of time like that" It also has had 2 alt put on it & they do the same as the one that was on it to begin with. Once it starts charging it will charge all day long & maybe even the next time I drive it" But then out of the blue when Im ready to go its not!

------------------
To hell with 12's Im going for the 11's!

Keith Davis---
2001 Ultra Harley Davidson
93 1500 Cheby PU
72 Cheby 4x4
97 1100 ACE
86GN,
Astroroof, DigDash' TTA crank, Ported polished heads & intake' Jay's 62mm T/body & upper' 979springs" Weber 206 206 hyd cam" Manly SS valves, Steel center mains' PTE 51 Turbo, THDP" Postons headers, Hooker comp. mufflers' T.C. Orange stripe conv. SMC alky,Boost command, Scanmaster2, MSD50 inj, JL Chips" V4 IC' LT1 MAF & Translator' Nitto DR's 275/50/15, All the braces, All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
when you turn the key on, the light should be on untill the engine cranks up. that's the "bulb test" when all the idiot lights are on.
i had the same problem with mine a few months ago. do a search under my name on this and "other" boards.

earl

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even a Dig dash? I did a search & found nothing under your name refering to charging?

[This message has been edited by fast86 (edited January 21, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Keith...I have a digital dash Limted that seems to have a mind of it's own about charging.

Try, this....the brown wire that goes to the alternator...the small one that plugs in. It should have voltage to it when the key is in the run position. Should basically read battery voltage or a slight bit less. If it does not, then the connection in the dash is bad. If it does not, crank the car up and then run 12 volts to the plug connector where this brown wire plugs...you should feel the car slow down for a second as the alternator starts charging. When you remove it, then the alternator will stop charging again.

Two ways to fix it...one the correct way is to get into the dash and clean up the connections to the bulb in the dash, I suspect. The juryrig way is to find a source of power that comes on when the key is on....probably off a fan relay....and run a wire from there into the brown wire so that it has to feed the alternator when the key is on which will force the alternator to charge.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There will be NO juryrigging! Ill pull the dash & clean every contact on it. Its not like I have to have the car everyday anyway & If that lights suppost to come on; Bygolly it will" the right way! Thanks Steve.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i had the same problem. was the alt. and the dimmer switch. hth.

------------------
Rob
87 GN fully loaded with 85k :(
TA49
Ultra Flow exhaust
Cold air induction
3" DP
T-Link comming soon hopefuly
shooting for low 13's high 12's
kenne belle headers
ATR ram air

http://firebird_1252.tripod.com/1987gn/

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I believe the problem is usually with the socket the bulb plugs into...or where the wires connect to it...

good luck...

I am assuming the light does not come on period...or will come on, on those days when it does decide to charge.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by firebird_1252:
i had the same problem. was the alt. and the dimmer switch. hth.

The Dimmer switch?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Don't even go where you are thinking of going!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But"But" I was'nt going to say nutin!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn! Thanks for telling me what a PITA it is to pull the speedo housing! I did how ever find the problem & dont know how it ever charged" The main wire connector behind the housing was just barley making contact with the printed circut panal esp. the pin that lined up with the charge light bulb. Now as for knowing if it will make a good contact when its put back together will be damn near impossible cause the plugin is snaped in another housing! Oh how I love this car.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Hey, I would have told you but you said you wanted to fix it "right"!

We just sold the Limited but on a rough road, the volt light would come on and off...I figure it is exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Here's an odd item I have found on both the digital and analog dash clusters. It's a special light bulb used for the alternator indicator. This particular lamp socket is different than the norm...it has a resistor built in to the socket. The idea is, if the ALT lamp should burn out, the car will still charge even though the filament is open. Good idea, but they didn't use them for all the G body cars, only a select few. Never know why GM does what she does...
Look at: http://www.casperselectronics.com/images/alt-lt1.jpg
http://www.casperselectronics.com/images/alt-lt2.jpg http://www.casperselectronics.com/images/alt-lt3.jpg

for details. You should be able to see if your car's cluster has one of these, easily noticed.
If you can find one, I'd put it in. Cheap insurance!
-John Spina http://www.casperselectronics.com

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
John, that is interesting. Long ago I had heard that some cars had such a back up but none I have seen actually have had it.

Is there a minimum voltage required to excite the field? Is there any need to reduce the voltage from the normal battery voltage?

On the unit with the resistor, is the bulb, itself different (lower voltage or whatever?) in order that it operates in parallel with the resistor?

·
Registered
529 Posts
The field needs minimum current, usually about 50ma. to maintain alternator operation. The redundant resistor in parallel with the lamp filament does not significantly increast field current so it wouldn't matter what size of bulb you use - unless the filament current draw is excessive (like a headlight) in which case you'd blow the regulator safety circuit. I should note that the "L" wire, which the GN uses from the regulator, should NOT be put directly to 12 volts, otherwise you'll damage the regulator. Just be sure the bulb is good, and lights with key on engine off, and everything will be OK.
-John Spina http://www.casperselectronics.com

------------------
-John Spina
http://www.casperselectronics.com
http://www.casperselectronics.com/cobra.htm

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram, it would appear that the bulb filament is the only resistance in the circuit that would prevent 12 volts to be delivered to "L" (assuming there is no parallel resistor which should reduce the resistance somewhat depending upon its value)

I assume that the bulb element is sufficient enuf resistance to prevent regulator damage? But what happens when a volt booster or master device is cranking the voltage up higher?

Sorry to be difficult but what I want to know next is, "What makes the light go off after it starts charging?". Does the circuit go open by regulator command or does the voltage drop enuf when the field is energized that the bulb is robbed of voltage so that it will not light....?

[This message has been edited by Steve Wood (edited January 26, 2002).]

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Yup!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Yup, what? LOL

Doncha try to tell me it works like the light in the fridgerator.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
He he

Okay field voltage is applied through the bulb and then the regulator in field strobe function when the car is first started.

Bulb must be on and working for this to happen.

As the RPM increases the field strobe function is disabled and normal regulation occurs. The output of the generator is split into the Diode Trio and Rectifier bridges, one output to the battery, the other goes to the field windings which maintains the magnetic field excitation.

This field voltage is then applied to the Volts indicator which causes the bulb to go out after the car is running since +12 is now on both sides of the lamp.

Very much like the refrigerator lamp circuit.

PS: It's in the manual.

Edited for your viewing pleasure and so I could read it.

[This message has been edited by salvageV6 (edited January 26, 2002).]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.