Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get the stock air cleaner apart to get the filter out. I have access to the threaded rod but how do you get it apart? Thanks.

------------------

Jim: 87 GN with: TA-49/PTE .63 housing; stock motor, transmission and converter; MSD 50#; CAS V-4; 3" DP; ATR 2.5" SS exhaust; 62 mm Hemco; Translator w/3" MAF; Bigmouth air system; SMC alcohol; Walbro 340; BFG DRs; and Extender 100 chip with 21* timing. Best ET/mph with w/93 octane + alcohol were 11.961/117.05.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Jim,

If you have taken the nut off the threaded rod on the top of the canister, it should just pull apart. If it doesn't come apart it is probably the rubber on the filter sticking to the metal of the canister. The canister will separate at the lip about half way down.

Mike

[This message has been edited by VIN7 (edited October 02, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. I am helping my brother with his car and it has been a long time since I worked with a stocker. The two pieces were stuck together and required some 'persuasion' to separate them.

Another question: What is the best way to get the bolt loose on the passenger side rear of the TB. It is the one that has the vacuum line bolted to it and the line twists when the bolt is turned. I don't want to kink the line. I know I had this same problem with mine in 1989 but I don't remember how I got the bolt loose without bending the vacuum line. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Good Luck! I kinked mine, Orlando has kinked a few too. Get creative with some pliars to keep it from twisting. Maybe hit it with an impact gun, I would think that would work.

Mike

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. I'll see what I can come up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts