Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put this on the other two turbo web-sites so I guess I'll put it here to. I had a very good tech put them on along with some other work I did feel like doing anymore but was not related to installing the heads. the heads were o-ring by Champion and reguire the fel-pro 1007 that Champion sent with them. After proper installation aand later warm up they leaked on the passenger side and outside of the med. of the front and back cylinder they leaked water. After takeing them off you could see it came from the water jacket.Now the gaskets come siliconed and they were let to cure about 3 days. Anybody out there do Champion o-ringed heads if so do you have ideas maybe more torque add silicone or what.I'd like to give these things a chance before I punt them back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Turbot007,I've been running the Champion O-ringed irons for about 4 years with no problems,except at the very begining,one head suffered core shift. Champion made good no questions asked.Give them a call.

------------------
Bruno"s Buicks,Just trying to save the breed,one animal at a time

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you buickman3 that's a new one. I've been trying to get with Tom but he has not been caling back, maybe I'll get him Monday or my tech will...again thanks very much
Originally posted by buickman3:
Turbot007,I've been running the Champion O-ringed irons for about 4 years with no problems,except at the very begining,one head suffered core shift. Champion made good no questions asked.Give them a call.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I replied to your last post; I don't have anything new to add here except to comment that the Locwire grooves are not O-rings...they are separate and different. O-rings use wire in very narrow grooves in the heads or block and stock gaskets; the Loc-wire grooves are wider and require the 1007 gasket with the built-in ring. Just some clarification so that people don't get confused by you calling them O-rings.

------------------

Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running

·
Registered
243 Posts
I silicone EVERY set of 1007's that I do. If you didn't use silicone, I am not suprised they leaked.

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even when silicone is already on the 1007 you also silicone around them?...Thanks
Originally posted by HighPSI:
I silicone EVERY set of 1007's that I do. If you didn't use silicone, I am not suprised they leaked.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes. I am sure I'll get some "grief" for saying this, but... I put a "skim" coat of silicone on BOTH sides of the ENTIRE gasket. I am not saying that this HAS to be done. It is just what works for me. I also, ASSume you torqued the head to the 1007 specs and NOT the GM specs.
Be forewarned, If you ever have to remove a head, it can be a real PITA. Even with all the bolts removed, you will have a heck of a time getting it seperated from the block.

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help Cal and if "grief" works it works right..
Yes. I am sure I'll get some "grief" for saying this, but... I put a "skim" coat of silicone on BOTH sides of the ENTIRE gasket. I am not saying that this HAS to be done. It is just what works for me. I also, ASSume you torqued the head to the 1007 specs and NOT the GM specs.
Be forewarned, If you ever have to remove a head, it can be a real PITA. Even with all the bolts removed, you will have a heck of a time getting it seperated from the block.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use a hammer handle inserted into the center intake port and just pull up to leverage them off. I've only done this with iron heads though, aluminum might be too soft/brittle.

You could put a leakdown tester in the center cylinder and apply 100 PSI. (3.8 bore * PI * 100 PSI = Approx 1200 lb of force)
(J/K)

-Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sup, you through me off with the name. I was looking for jamiedking as it is on the other board. Any way this is one more place I can kill more time. I might come by tonight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts