Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been modifying lots of small things on my car lately.

One of the things I have done is to swap out the original injector harness which I had modified many years ago with a hot wire feed with a new hd harness from Caspers.

At one time, I had suffered from low voltage to the injectors (and everything else that comes thru the ignition switch) so I had gimmicked it with an injector hot wire to insure that the injectors were receiving a full voltage supply.

This works, but, it's a bandaid, and, another potential failure point. After finally sitting down and looking at the wiring diagrams along with some use of the meter, I determined the loss was at the ignition switch which was not making a good contact with the connectors. Pictures on my site under the tech picture section. After resolving this problem, I could do away with the hot wire set up.

Figuring 20 years of vibration, heat, my rigging, etc., was enuf, I decided to install a new harness and purchased the hd model with 14 ga wire from John Spina at Caspers. Whether one really needs 14 ga wire instead of 16 ga with low impedance injectors is probably debatable, but, I consider it as additional insurance even if it affects less than the total circuit.

John's harness is built like the factory harness using similar crimping tools as used by the factory, and, is tested to the same pull standards as the factory pieces.

Someone recently posted that it was better to solder the connectors on. I have not figured out why it is better. I have not seen reports of factory harnesses failing over the past 20 years from lack of solder, and, I think using solder would create a stiffer joint that would be more susceptible to vibration as the years go by. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :)

I am very pleased with the new harness-including the large numbers on the connectors that I can read without a magnifying glass and a flashlight! :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I don't see any point. After I fixed my low voltage problems, I now get 13.8-14.1 or so to the harness. The wiring feed is not long enuf to be a resistance problem on the factory wiring. I think the hot wire is unneeded. :)

I am running the 75's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts