Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing the fusible link relocation kit that I bought from Casper's sometime ago. I also installed a HD cable from the 200 amp alternator to the battery.

The fusible link kit extends/moves the fusible links off the starter to a terminal box that mounts by the coolant reservoir and comes with a new positive battery cable that goes to the terminal box as well as a new cable that goes from the box to the starter. Also included is a new cable from the box to the alternator which I upgraded to a heavier wire to go along with the 200 amp alternator upgrade I installed last year.

Moving the fusible links off the starter moves them from an area of high heat and gets them away from the manifold where they may short out if the insulation burns thru. One of mine had no insulation left for about six inches so it appears I had been running on luck for sometime now.

Besides preventing possible "burn outs" on the exhaust, it really makes it easy to replace a fusible link if one does ever fail...no crawling under the car and struggling this way.

The kit comes with everything one needs except a soldering iron and solder which is required to attach the new fusible links/extensions after cutting off the old ones. Like all of John's products, the materials are very high quality.

I also installed a TBS ministarter when I was putting it back together...with the removal of the fusible links, only two wires go back on...battery cable and the wire to the solenoid from the key. Sure is easy to get to the solenoid posts on the ministarters.

This is really a nice, beneficial, professional kit. I strongly recommend it to anyone that wants to avoid being stranded by an old fusible link that has had too much exhaust heat.

·
Registered
133 Posts
thanks for this thread

I was driving a couple years ago in my last turbo regal & in the middle of a rainstorm all electrical failed. Come to find out when the aftermarket headers, crossover, & downpipe were installed they put off more heat & eventually caused the links to short. Replaced them with gm links but at the time this system from caspers would have been alot better.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
How do you install them? Did you have to crawl under the car and crimp them to the old wires or do you pull them out from under the coil?

·
Never ending process!
2,288 Posts
Hey Steve,
I looked on his site and couldnt find what you had described. It's not the Fuse Link kits, is it ?? Do you have the "code" number he lists everything by ??? Seems like a good idea while the engine is out of the car :yup:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You pull them out of the harness shield on the passenger side of the coil after disconnecting them from the starter. That puts them on top of the engine. Cut off the old ones just behind the molded links. Then splice the new ones which are attached to a couple of feet of wire to the original wire, crimping and soldering the solder barrels to the old wires, pull the heat shrink tubing over the joint. Then insert the entire bundle into the supplied cable armor and run along the old protector to the coolant bottle and into the new terminal box mounted by it on the inner fender.

then enclose the solenoid wire into the supplied cable armor and reattach it to the starter.

Add the new battery cables and alternator wires and hook them to the terminal box along with the new ecm memory connector.

When you are completed, you will have one new cable from the battery to the terminal box, a new cable to the starter from the box, a new cable to the alternator from the box, and the fusible lengths also attached to the box.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JBenn911 said:
Hey Steve,
I looked on his site and couldnt find what you had described. It's not the Fuse Link kits, is it ?? Do you have the "code" number he lists everything by ??? Seems like a good idea while the engine is out of the car :yup:
Jim, the number is 102031

I did not see them on the site, but, he has had them for a long time. Maybe he quit listing a number due to the various options in the alternator wire size?

Be a piece of cake with the engine out! :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts