Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, My aluminum bracket has been rewelded, the intercooler is back in and when the car is warmed up, sounds/runs great. I park the car for the weekend, start her up this morning cold, and the IC scoop is ratteling like mad against the front sway bar. Sounded like the fan was running against it.
I read somewhere that people put rubber grommet (washers) around the sway bar to eliminate this from happening. Any thoughts ?? pictures ?? Tricks that work ?? What are my options to move this thing around within the tight space, it does not look like much...
I am going to contact conley's to see if they can muster up a new aluminum bracket from DeQuick, but after all I went thru to get this welded and back in ?? Looking for suggestions.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I die grinded both scoops on my two cars.

One was a V4 and one was a Mease.

Both rattled but not any more. wink

Ain't pretty but a little black spray paint and you can't see anything. yup

Otherwise prepare to wait for a solution.... ugh

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heater Hose and tie wraps did the job for now.
Thanks !!

After looking things over down there, perhaps it is time to sell the CAS V4 and see what a front mount Cottons would do.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve,
Thanks, I will re-consider the Cottons FM and spend the $$ more wisely. Like maybe a bigger turbo (currently running TE44).
Actually, I am trying to locate Conley's as I read they are still distributing for CAS, and actually can deliver product. If I can get the original bracket from them, I would be glad. The welding job I had done certainly will hold the unit in place, but the IC is now sitting on the front sway bar, rattling like crazy. The new welded bracket obviously changed the disposition of the IC itself and how it sits in the compartment.
I tried a suggestion - to slip heater hose over the bar, which I did last night and seems to be working, but I am not pleased with this solution.
The Pain in the Axx about this is , one of the bolts to remove the IC bracket also empties the anti frees fluid from the water pump..

·
Neverlift Society
2,293 Posts
I have no idea what the brackets look like on your intercooler, but could the holes be elongated so there would be some adjustability?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Greg,
Actually the holes were elongated on the previous bracket, and we concluded that is what contributed to the crack. There was just not enough metal left. However, Your point is a good one. Now that I have a beefed up version of this same bracket, elongating the wholes probably won't hurt the overall strenth and would allow me to pull it up off the bar at least 3/16's.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If you clearance the scoop you don't need rubber and an interference fit, which could generate false KR. :)

And you don't add more "stuff" in the way of the cooling air. wink

I wouldn't use the die grinder on the intercooler itself however. eek! silly

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Believe me, I was getting plenty of false knock when this thing broke at the race track. I looked down at one point and saw 12 on the knock sensor at WOT. I was grateful to find out, the cracked bracket was the cause...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wish I had my didgetal camara hooked up to my computer so I could send you A picture of a bracket that was made for my GN.Made out of what looks to be 3/8- 1/2 inch alum and it works great.Don't think it will ever let me down.I have to tell you there is no way that the factory bracket that came with the v4 was going on the car.Too cheeply made.

My advice to you would be to take the original bracket to someone who can bend you up one like the one I have and be done with it for good.With as thick of metal as mine is I don't see it cracking even with the slots cut in it just like the factory one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts