Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make this short, went into Best Buy the other day and when I came back to the car she wouldn't turn over without the help from the jumppack. Turned out battery wouldn't hold a load, the negative cable was poor, and the high torque starter was toast. Now got a Optima Yellow Top, new ground wire, and new high torque starter.

Turns out the same situtation is still happening even though tests did show all those parts where bad. The car will start up without a problem for the first time of the day. When driven for about 2 miles or more, after the engine is turned off and you wait 10 minutes, the car will not crank over. When it's hot it will crank for about 45 seconds, backfire, tries to lockup. After doing this 2-3 times, the engine will start up like NORMAL!!

Crank and cam sensor are fine. Any ideas :confused: :confused: Thyanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
8ball said:
Had same problems before and turned out to be the starter was going out and all of sudden just died.
Well, I would say that, but took out the high torque starter, put in a new AC Delco starter, that wouldn't turn over, and then I put in a new High Torque starter, so 3 different starters have been in the car in the past 2 weeks with no luck.

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Is the problem the car will not crank, or will not start? I think I misunderstood. Did you check that the battery cable(s) are not shorting against something?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zap said:
Is the problem the car will not crank, or will not start? I think I misunderstood. Did you check that the battery cable(s) are not shorting against something?
The car will not start, it cranks for about 45 seconds but not start..and after a few times of doing this, it will start like nothing was wrong. No, all the batter cables where changed just 2 days ago.

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
sounds like the timing is way high :dunno:

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
I'll go with the ignition module again then. A bad one will start acting up when they get hot.

Where's that damn Steve Wood? He lives for step by step troubleshooting! :sw:

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
How old is the timing chain/gears?

It sounds like the timing chain jumped. Just my first thought..

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
If you can pull the cam sensor cap off and confirm that it isn't a timing chain issue. I'd say ignition module too. I've had a few chains break. One went out just like that, no noise, no dramatics. It just wouldn't start. Wasted a couple of hours of my life before I checked the cam sensor.

And one word of warning. Dont crank on those LT1-mini starters for to long. The little Bendix fork or lever or whatever you want to call them are really weak and will break if you abuse them to much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts