Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mad: :mad: hi everyone ,i got a weird problem ,my car starts to stutter and hesitate after about 20-30 minutes of driving.

Before that,it runs fine.

no codes pop out on the scanner,no check engine light,no hose disconnected.it does that on all gears also between 3000 and 4000 approx.

2 mechanics said its misfireing.The fire cuts somewhere.we changed the spark plugs,wires ( wich i was sure wasnt gonna do anything ) then the crank sensor,coil pack,module and no change. the car misses between 3000 and 4000 rpm ,if you rev it more then 4000 it seems fine.

what else is there to check? the car starts good,no fuel pressure drop either.

ps ; whoever built this car,can you please open up a garage so we will at leats know 1 mechanic that knows how to fix it,cause everywhere i go and try to fix this car, no one knows what their really doing,just changing pieces left and right.

you could email me directly at [email protected]

passsed 3 long days at the garage so far, no problem solved yet :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :frown: :frown:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
strange...sounds like something electronic is getting hot and giving up the ghost...

Have you tried unplugging the cam sensor after you have started it and then seeing if the problem continues??

Only thing left beyond that would seem to be the ecm. :dunno:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no havent tried unplugging the cam sensor,that is right in front of the engine near the O2 sensor right?

we actually unplugged the EGR valve and no luck.

if the ECM would be bad wouldnt the car even start? wouldnt it have a code on the scanmaster?

how do you know when your ECM chip is bad?

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
Whenever it's a misfire issue check the easy things first. The running fine for the first 20 mins kinda throws a loop into this, but double check your spark plugs and wires. Do as Steve said, and also check all the grounding straps to make sure their well grounded, and if possible you might want to even check for loose fuses and clean some connections.

Do you have a temperature gauge on it? It's not getting too hot is it? Just trying to think what would happen in that 20 mins it's running fine. Anything you've done recently to the car before all of this started?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i changed the wires and plugs.

we ll check some moreo n grounds or connectors but havent found anything else.

havent done anything to it,just recently started.

the car is not overheating,temperature is fine

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
lachachmtl said:
no havent tried unplugging the cam sensor,that is right in front of the engine near the O2 sensor right?

we actually unplugged the EGR valve and no luck.

if the ECM would be bad wouldnt the car even start? wouldnt it have a code on the scanmaster?

how do you know when your ECM chip is bad?
sometimes electronics items don't get flaky until they are hot. I have seen them act up without any trouble codes. Sometimes the chips will throw a code...but, I have not seen a chip that will act up after being hot...that does not mean they will not...just that I have not seen it. :)

Make sure the grounds on the back of the passengerside head are all tight.

yes, the cam sensor is in the front end on top of the timing cover...driver's side. Remember it will run while unplugged...but, if you turn it off, then it has to be plugged for the car to start. Unplugging throws it into batch mode. Unplug it before it has run long enuf to start missing...and then run it long enuf unplugged to see if it starts missing as normal. It should run fine unplugged.

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Seems extra weird with the hot-miss "going away above 4000 rpm. My guess is the miss is just likely being "masked" at the higher rpms--but still there! :dunno:

·
Registered
140 Posts
i had this same problem a few years ago, it was the ignition module, when i took off the coil pack the module was all sticky in side and it got on the wires, take a peek in there. cold the sticky stuff was hard, and hot it was like water

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dyermullet, what the hell is that? a grand national cheeseburger module LMAO

i have changed the module,coil pack,spark plugs,wires,crank sensor,unplugged the EGR valve,check 1 of the grounds,no codes on the scanmaster .

nothing so far.

im bringing the car again at the garage tuesday for the 4th damn time.

too bad my old mechanic closed down cause he got sick,he was the only one i trusted and knew alot about electrical parts.

GOD help me and my GN !!!

ps.does anyone in this world know how to fix this damn car? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: getting drunk to forget about my car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bishir

bishir those are some really nice pic,i like the painting where you see like a mirror reflection in it.how much did that paint job cost?

AM I THE ONLY GN OWNER HERE THAT IS BROKE AND HAS TO MAKE HIS CAR SIT IN THE PARKING 3-4 DAYS A WEEK CAUSE I CANT EVEN AFFORD THE GAS?

ps.maybe if i drank less beer and wouldnt go out as often ....

ps.stil dreaming of the day i will be making more $$$ and could put a few thousands on the car.

nice mags,are those center line? i have center line convo pro wich are really crazy mags but unfirtunately the little grooves in them make them very hard to clean.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just took the insurance off my car since I couldn't afford gas, or a new radiator, and other things.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how can you drive without insurance? unless your not driving it .

we have to have insurance here to drive,when the cops pull you over like they do every 3 weeks for a check up when you have a grand national(these damn pigs),they ask for insurance papers or else its a fine.

i think igot stopped about 20 times for check up since i have this car,last time they even checked all the damn lights,high beams,flashers,didnt find anything wrong.

i guess their not looking at the place lol

gutted out catylic converter,1 of the reverse light not working.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
so, what happened when you disconnected the cam sensor?

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
gmaltese said:
i had this same problem a few years ago, it was the ignition module, when i took off the coil pack the module was all sticky in side and it got on the wires, take a peek in there. cold the sticky stuff was hard, and hot it was like water
Several years back, I had a no-start condition--replaced both coil-pack & ICM (no help--real culprit was later determined to be crank sensor).

Anyhow, my old ICM was gooey when hot-just as you've described (& later pictured by dyermullet). So I later [finally separated the wires] took my old ICM to A'Zone to be tested (I'd never seen a used ICM like this )--& yep, it tested out just "fine" according to them/their tester). Being the skeptic I am, I trashed it as soon as I got home--not wanting to take a chance with this slime-chunk--even as a back-up.

I'd like to know what "goes bad" in these ICM's to make this gooey silly putty?? Something is presumably getting hot inside the ICM & will eventually let you down!?

Sorry for the superflous rambling--but I just got my computer back on-line!
(It must be a TurboBuicks withdrawal-type-thing)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SteveWood ,ok we checked the grounds and there isnt anything wrong with it.

we unplugged the cam sensor,it was fine on idle then the mechanic hit the throttle a bit and it backfired and died out.

he started the car back up,slapped the ECM a bit and the car was about to stall,RPM s went very low.

we unplugged the hit the cam sensor with a screwdriver as we were hiting the throttle and no change,car was still stuttering between 2150 RPM and 3000,above that everything is normal.

then we unplugged the cam sensor againt and hit the throttle,the car ran fine,no more stuttering and not dying out.

I DONT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING NOW. how can it die out the first time we unplug the cam sensor and not the second?

the voltage seemed good 7Volts i think while turning the alternator to test it.

should i change my cam sensor anyways?i heard its like 240$,should i change the ECM, should i change the chip?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts