Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i get in to start my 87 GN and i turn the key it makes this terrible sound that sounds like when you start a car then start it again. but if i stick my foot out the door and push the car just a little so it moves a tiny bit and then turn the key it cranks right up like its never had any starting problem before. it does this EVERY single time but i dont know why though. please help me. i would like to know what makes it do that. it doesnt bother me its just odd that it does that. thanks

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Sounds like the starter to flywheel engagement is off. Starter gear may be bad.

I would look into a replacement starter to have on hand when you take yours out to check it. Very heavy.

Remans. are about $60 and the Mini starter which is lightweight is available at this site.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Didn't you just buy this GN? The first thing I would do before you start driving this GN around is follow the complete tune up recipe on GNTTYPE.ORG This will force you to look at every aspect of the car and hopefully find some things to prevent further problems. Drop the starter and verify that the flywheel teeth are good and check the teeth on the starter gear. Since you already have the starter down and off, I would replace it with a mini starter offered for sale on this board by Mike. It is a nice unit and lighter than the stocker. Keep your stock starter, do not discard it. You should not even consider leaving this the way it is, it should start up nice and smooth. Just my thoughts, take all advice and make the choice that suits you best. Good luck.

------------------
Brad Thompson,1987 GN"...Black cars look better under boost!
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya im gonna do the spring cleanup as instructed on gnttype.org ASAP. ive only had the car a day now. i love it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts