Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Young Buick Enthusiast
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car just started idling at 2000 rpms then about 30 seconds after I start it up the check engine light comes on, not sure what it is. But the motor got a little wet because I left my hood open to go to advance autoparts and it started to shower for about 10 minutes. Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
check the error code///

sounds like it got water in a connector to me

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine does that when the throttle position sensor connector gets a bad connection. Check the tps voltage with a scantool or a voltmeter...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
As stated above, could be the TPS. When I have lost TPS's, they have were hard to start, always started at about 2000 or so rpm, and would not idle below about 1300 rpm or so. FWIW, in addition to getting wet in rainstorms, TPS's do not last long when accidently hit/washed with high pressure hot/warm water car wash hoses. HTH

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
hmmmm I wash mine all the time ... I have had "maybe " 2 TPS's go since 86 :dunno: .. check the stored codes :yup:

·
Young Buick Enthusiast
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How can I check the code if I don't have a scanmaster? Is there anyother way?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You can take a paper clip and ground out pins I believe A & B on the ALDL service engine light will blink for codes stored. It will start off blinking a code 12 which is normal.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
OK at work and off the top of my head and just vage enough to confuse you... Using and paper clip or short wire you have to short to pins on the ALDL plug under the dash. First it will flask 12, three times then a trouble code if it's stored, then 12 again..GOOD LUCK WITH THAT..I have tried it. Go to Advance, Autozone, pepboys, they will all read the code for free :yup:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I forgot, pins A & B are on the top right of the ALDL

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
always works for me :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
my guess ,( holding computer screen to head like carnak the magnificent )

TPS

took mine out same way (washing the engine) the second day i owned it , seen it a few times since then and always a wet or bad tps

this link might be of some help http://gnttype.org/maint/malf.html
but you could still have a bad tps and not set the codes for it , easeir to have a scan tool and check the operation of it or just replace but youll have to set it and a scantool makes that part easy
go to steves site www.vortexbuicks-etc.com for info on setting the tps with a scantool or using a voltmeter

·
Young Buick Enthusiast
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im just going to go to autozone to pick a TPS up because my friend works there and he can get me one for cheap.

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
TurboedV6 said:
Im just going to go to autozone to pick a TPS up because my friend works there and he can get me one for cheap.
The ones from autozone have a 3 month warranty and won't last much longer then that. It's good that your buddy works there and can get you a discount but if your out somewhere and it takes a dump,it won't help.

The AdvanceAutoParts brand has a 1 year warranty and seem to last and work better, this is just my observation of course. :yup:

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
or get your buddy to verify that it's a TPS that's bad before you throw money at it........

·
Young Buick Enthusiast
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I bought one then brought the old one in and got my money back :D, Just have to put the new one on now.

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Your buddy's job there will not last very long if he "defects" excessively!

·
Young Buick Enthusiast
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I put the new TPS in it and now its idles at 1500, I tried adjusting it but nothing lower than 1500.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Are you going by the factory tach, because they are off alot. :yup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts