Turbo Buick Forums banner

car guys club and performance shop.....

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Purple87SS 
#1 ·
I have a vacant (free and clear) 16,000 SF old military depot warehouse located in a decent and upcoming area of Camden, NJ currently in the market for sale. I'm also thinkin of opening a car guys club/performance shop all complete with dyno, detail shop,pool table,90" LCD,6 lifts,including a do it yourself area with a lift, etc... the property is in front of Hargrove Demolition company and next door just broke ground to a 14 acres Youth Development center to be run by the Mcdonald's foundation (Kroc's family).
Here's the address and the realtor has some photos of the exterior and interior.
1590 Pierce avenue,Camden just google it and has a video also. I was approached by a performane company that is highly interested in movin to the property as they are growin and needed the space and accessibilty to the bridges and major highways like I 95,76,bridges, etc...
Give me your .2 cents folks good or bad:cheers:

#2 ·
Seems like a good area as far as accessability. I personally would sell it. Question would the property be worth more if it was all fixed up as in move in condition. If the answer is no then sell it now. If you went the car club route give me a great excuse to get out of the house. Now you just need to get some lifts,dyno and maybe a paint booth,build a bar, put a couple of Pool tables in and some Poles for entertainment. hehehe

Stefan

#5 ·
I really really really like the paint booth idea. :D

#6 ·
building..

Aside from 16000 SF there's another extra 1300 SF that could be use for paint booth body work shop.

#7 ·
Carmello - look up a thing called "Hackerspace"...its a simliar concept to what you're looking at but usually for electronics or building projects. May be able to apply those principles to this.

#8 ·
It's an interesting idea.

One of the early things I'd give thought to is security and safety given the hit that Camden's PD has taken recently. How do you balance the type of marketing and publicity you'd want to do to attract legitimate attention with the not so desirable attention that you'd also attract.

Zoned and insurable for what you have in mind?

Wonder how much business they'd have to do to keep the lights on given whatever the cost is (whether measured by cars through the door, size / type of jobs, something else, or all of the above)? Again, very interesting idea and you certainly know business well.

#9 ·
car guys...

Security is the number one priority no matter what the location is especially if you are dealin with fast cars be it ricers,classics, or exotics. The major shareholder of the performance shop plans to live there and prolly one of his trusted mechanic plus installation of security lightings and cameras will help. All cars will be stored indoors up to 30 comfortably and maybe 40 squezzing it tight. Their current P&L is healthy plus what's waiting on line the only good thing is 80% of customers are out of State so fast cars are shipped in and shipped out, they also have an on line parts business which helps a lot and planning to have some kind of production line for exhaust and intakes. AWD dyno and knowledge of FAST,Motecs,AMS,Pro-Efi, and other softwares will attract local car buffs and tuners.Body shop and paint booth could be added to the mix. I'd like to see it in a long run as a one stop shop for a car guy. This is just an idea for now and nothin is concrete until all the pros and cons are sorted out. I also would like to see a lounge area that a member can walk in any day relax,shoot pool,watch video, dream, watch what's goin on in the dyno room, or just talk or grudge about cars all day long with other guys who shares the same passion, this is just a dream for now BTW :D

#10 ·
You know what they say..."Location, Location, Location"

#12 ·
car guys' club

i agree with Jay location, location, location is the golden standard for real estate :yup: but it also cost tons of $$$$$$$$ to begin with:D the current location is part of Camden redevelopment program and i have seen the plan which calls for a golf course right in front of the property i also learned that Hargrove Demolition company is being Imminent Domain by the city and still a big court proceedings at this point. The 14 acres Mcdonald's youth center already broke ground and started the foundation hoping that the redevelopment program will soon start. I'll be visiting the area more frequently starting next week and inviting a few proposal for a new roof,brick pointing,windows, lightings,security,etc...

anyone knows the area well? maybe i could learn more :cheers:

#13 ·
Liked that concept:yup:

#14 ·
update..

The Camden site is at the back burner for now and found a 5500 square foot empty shop in Collingswood along route 130 with lifts and a grandfathered certified paint booth. Met with the owner yesterday and handed him a deposit to ward off other suitors. It needs a few cosmetics plus installation of the Mustang AWD dyno but ready to operate and shooting for November 1st grand opening basically it's a performance/resto shop only but won't turn down basic auto services. I think the car club concept will grow as the location can now attract potential members from all over the place without the stigma of Camden. Will keep you guys posted.

#15 ·
performance shop..

The Camden site is at the back burner for now and found a 5500 square foot empty shop in Collingswood along route 130 with lifts and a grandfathered certified paint booth. Met with the owner yesterday and handed him a deposit to ward off other suitors. It needs a few cosmetics plus installation of the Mustang AWD dyno but ready to operate and shooting for November 1st grand opening basically it's a performance/resto shop only but won't turn down basic auto services. I think the car club concept will grow as the location can now attract potential members from all over the place without the stigma of Camden. Will keep you guys posted.
forgot to mention that it has a 6 car show room all in glass that we can use:D

#17 ·
Cool, keep us posted and we can add the Open House to MAGNA calender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.