Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading some old threads about girdles and billet caps and such and have some questions. When the caps walk around and gall the registers and bottom of the caps will this affect bearing clearances? Is galling alone reason enough to rebuild a motor? Is the surface still flat and the metal just got distorted?

Basically I am asking what the hell is the galling, and what are the side effects of it?

Joe

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
The caps shouldn't walk around[at least in an ideal situation].
If things are moving,clearances will change and you can bite a bearing into a journal.
The galling will leave less material for the mating surfaces to clamp with and cause problems.
You're better off with a well fitted setup from the start. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
"Galling" occurs when the caps stick to the block. Material from the caps is transferred to the block, and/or material from the block is transferred to the caps. In order to fix it, you have to take a cut off both, which in turn would require line honing, or line boring, to get the bearing bores back to size. If the side faces of the caps gall, then there might be too much side clearance, and you could have to replace the caps. :(

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I am ****ed guys. Im in a tight spot, my machinist set up the girdle and everything for me and did the line hone. Girdle is dead nuts, but I remember seeing galling on the registers when assembling the motor. Motor is now 80% assembled, and I read some threads about galling and I am scared shitless. The machinist is a good friend who has let me borrow parts from him and stuff, don't want to piss him off. Right now I have the worst feeling in my stomach ever. If this thing blows again im done for atleast a year, and I can't have that happen.

I am absolutely feeling like throwing up.

Joe

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
this is the same machinist that could not figure how to fix the cam surface, right?

Better to stop now and wait til you can afford to have things checked and fixed if needed, than to blow it up and start from scratch.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
87bigcut said:
I think I am ****ed guys. Im in a tight spot, my machinist set up the girdle and everything for me and did the line hone. Girdle is dead nuts, but I remember seeing galling on the registers when assembling the motor. Motor is now 80% assembled, and I read some threads about galling and I am scared shitless. The machinist is a good friend who has let me borrow parts from him and stuff, don't want to piss him off. Right now I have the worst feeling in my stomach ever. If this thing blows again im done for atleast a year, and I can't have that happen.

I am absolutely feeling like throwing up.

Joe
Your machinist friend should have noted the galling and stopped before he went further.
At that point you should decide where to go from there.
Some pics of the area would help us to decide what and how severe the damage is.
IMO,he's definitely on the hook if he called the shot and went forward after seeing the apparent damage.
That's my professional [machinist-25+ years]opinion and my personal one.
He probably feels it'll be alright.
I hope he's right. :dunno:

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say on the to middle saddles(registers?) about 1/4 of the surface was rough. No roughness on the side of the caps, caps fit tight in registers (required being hit with a deadblow a few times to seat them. Dont have any pics pre cap install, and now the short is assembeld with girdle

Joe

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just talked with RJC racing about it and told him amount of cap walk and register fit and he thinks I should be fine as long as there were no high spots from the cap walk.

Joe

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
From what you're describing,it sounds like RJC is right.
I'm going to assume that your machinist was careful enough to flat file the surfaces smooth before he started the machine work.
Enjoy.:)

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel much better :usa:

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts