Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Unrecognized Genius
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a post that I made on another automotive related board. I just thought I would share. Comments are most welcome.

There is a bill being presented to Canada's parliament on Friday? It is being introduced by the new Federal Conservative government. It seems that people are getting sick of the ricer flyby and numbskull drifting attempts that usually ends up killing innocents. Go figure. This Bill ( as introduced ) will make it a Federal offense and will demand major minimum jailtime and huge fines. This may also include loss of drivers license for years if not permanently. What ever happened to a quick blast on a deserted freeway or stoplight to stoplight? Even that makes little sense with local tracks running street programs. Now we have the so-called tuner age that has no finish line or common sense to not endanger normal drivers. We have 15 second warriors weaving in and out of rush hour traffic as though it's a video game. If this law passes, and someone else dies as a result of your actions while street racing, you are screwed. The general automotive enthusiast will again be painted black by the careless actions of the ignorant few.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Laws suck I guess.

Here in the good ole USA I wish they were a TON more harsh. If we made it harsh enough most wouldn't do it now would they? Guess that is the reason why we haven't done so yet.

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Most laws suck, very few are fair.

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
These types of laws have good intentions but they are down right scary...

Too much judgement required by cops.... and that's the scary part... maybe you are doing quick bursts on a deserted road to tune your car or you got a nice shift kit and your car chips second.... all it takes is some stupid donut muncher in a bad mood and before you know it you are in cuffs front of a judge for street racing.... scary.... it better be written right to the letter what constitutes street racing as opposed to speeding, unneccessary noise, dangerouss driving etc....

·
4 car Garage
197 Posts
WLDWST said:
This is a post that I made on another automotive related board. I just thought I would share. Comments are most welcome.

There is a bill being presented to Canada's parliament on Friday? It is being introduced by the new Federal Conservative government. It seems that people are getting sick of the ricer flyby and numbskull drifting attempts that usually ends up killing innocents. Go figure. This Bill ( as introduced ) will make it a Federal offense and will demand major minimum jailtime and huge fines. This may also include loss of drivers license for years if not permanently. What ever happened to a quick blast on a deserted freeway or stoplight to stoplight? Even that makes little sense with local tracks running street programs. Now we have the so-called tuner age that has no finish line or common sense to not endanger normal drivers. We have 15 second warriors weaving in and out of rush hour traffic as though it's a video game. If this law passes, and someone else dies as a result of your actions while street racing, you are screwed. The general automotive enthusiast will again be painted black by the careless actions of the ignorant few.
I always liked racing up Groat Road, those lanes were narrow.

·
Unrecognized Genius
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
krom said:
I always liked racing up Groat Road, those lanes were narrow.

Awe yes. Groat Road. Drive it often. Lanes have been widened and repaved. Nice and twisty. Lot's of enforcement on that road now. Last few years, too many rice rockets losing it and ending up being a stat.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I personally dont like this law, or even the consideration of it. Like said above, too much judgment for a cop. I dont think this is going to stop very many from street racing, because usually the chumps that do that crap on busy highways or with pedestrians around dont care until its too late.

Thousands of others die from many other things alot worse then street racing. It is sensationalized big time

Hopefully it is reserved for major street racing activities.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
What I think would help is locals helping setup weekend racing events in larger parking lots, etc and teach this kids, rules and safety. I remember some town was doing this..not remember where :dunno: Give them a place they can go thrash their car and have fun safely...

·
Registered
732 Posts
I wish all the cops were like Van Buren, Ar. They used to close a small airstrip and hold a street race every Saturday nite.

Man, I saw some excellent everyman street races. Some $1k races too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts