Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a gun from this guy on auction arms. I won the bidding (I bid $1.00 over the initial listed price).
These are the payment terms:

"Brand New S&W 637 Chiefs Special Airweight 38 Special+P 5-Shot 1 7/8" barrel 15oz.New in Box.Must ship to FFL ONLY! Make sure legal to own BEFORE bidding!This auction has been discounted 3% for CASH payments(money order/check) All credit cards are accepted.Lay-A-Way Available $100.00 down free for 45 days.Shipping to AK/HI will be higher."

(This is not the gun I bought)

Anyway, I told him I would send him a check for the amount I won the auction for plus the stated $26.00 s/h fee. I won the auction for $459.99 + $26.00=$485.99 less 3% cash discount =$471.41.

This is what I sent asking about the discount:

Dear sir,
I don't mean to be argumentative nor due I dispute the final price on this
revolver, but I fail to see where the 3% cash discount is applied. If I pay
by credit card the final price of the revolver should still be $485.99. I
don't understand where the 3% cash discount is applied? Your payment options
stated" This auction has been discounted 3% for CASH payments(money
order/check)". Again, I don't understand this statement. Please explain the
price before the discount is applied.

Thank you,

This is the reply I received from him:

The final price is $459.99 (Cash Payment)if you choose to pay with credit
card it will be 3% more.
If you read the auction it states "This auction HAS BEEN DISCOUNTED 3% FOR CASH PAYMENTS! That means $459.99 is the DISCOUNTED PRICE. It will not be discounted MORE.
THANKS.....MC

He does not state if you pay by credit card the final price will be 3% more than your winning bid.
I think he was ambigious in his payment options. Do you agree or disagree.

Thanks for letting me vent guys.

·
war is hell
928 Posts
buicksrus said:
I think he was ambigious in his payment options. Do you agree or disagree.
I agree and disagree.

The way he worded things was definitely a little bit vague.

On the other hand, despite being vague to most people, I feel the seller has the position to argue about how he is justified to tack on 3% if the buyer doesn't pay in cash.

So, it seems he has found a slightly sneaky method of squeezing a few extra bucks out of the deal. If it is still an option, I would go out and purchase a money order and mail it to him for the "discounted price" and thus not pay him the extra 3%!

just my two cents worth...

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discounted is past tense meaning it was already applied to the price in the auction. As in already been discounted no further discounts apply.

It is most likely a sneaky way to try to charge 3% more for credit card or paypal accounts which incidentally is illegal at most auction places online.

Not sure about the rules at that site however.

If it is illegal perhaps some persuading by contacting the sites authorities or talking about doing so will in fact get you that discount. :wink:

As written the discount is applied to the existing price already.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I understood what he meant because I know that if you pay buy credit card he gets charged a 3% fee. I think the seller assumed that everyone is aware of the cc fee.

If you pay by cc the seller will still only receive the cash amount stated.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
dispute it , i would especially if it's not what you wanted and then your gonna pay more

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't think he should mention a discount at all. What he should say is " A 3% surcharge will be added to payment by credit card" Currently he is infering a 3% discount applies to the winning bid if you pay by check or money order. We don't know if he applied a 3% discount as he claims.......The higher the bids go the lower the discount.......I'm not disputing the fact that he could lose money if he doesn't charge the 3% fee for credit card payment, but he should be clear or more specific) on the terms of payment.

Thanks for your input guys

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The auction states "has been discounted" not 'will be discounted' for cash.

Send a check as you stated and avoid the 3% cc fee.

Is it worth $14 to hassle with it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh I am going to send him a check for the amount he said I owe, I am not going to cause a hassle with him....But I did send him a email offering this
to say in future auctions:

"A 3% SURCHARGE WILL BE ADDED TO THE FINAL BILL
IF PAYMENT IS MADE BY CREDIT CARD"

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
Only reason he is charging a 3% fee is cause that is what it costs him to process credit cards. Most businesses that accept credit cards figure this into the margins of the product so that you never see it.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I understood what he was saying, and, why. Seemed clear to me, but, I can understand why some might not. Don't think he was being sneaky on purpose. :)

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Check the auction sites rules, normally it is not legal to charge more for credit card or paypal transactions.

This is just a sneaky way around that, if he put 3% surcharge for those types of charges his auction probably would have been pulled.

This could still fit in those guidelines and be a non legal auction description.

If it's legal to charge that 3% more he should use much more clear language in the future to avoid any confusion and delay. :cool:

·
Keep the Rubber Side Down
1,161 Posts
Steve Wood said:
I understood what he was saying, and, why. Seemed clear to me, but, I can understand why some might not. Don't think he was being sneaky on purpose. :)

Ditto :yup:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
its a conveinience for the consumer to use the card- thats why it should be charged to the customer.

when i sell anything i add the 3% into the price, if not it cuts into your profit. if you were to pay by money order, or check, or even cash- you would have to pay the fees for the money order- postage, ect.

i agree with the seller- it does suck you cant state it that it will be charged more for credit cards. if you state that in the auction- your auction gets closed and you get suspended.

thats why on ebay- somone who accepts paypal, their shipping is usualy higher because thats getting their paypal fees back. 1000$ item ends up costing the seller 30$ just for the transaction

1 - 14 of 14 Posts