Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Valve Monkey
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to replace my crankshaft and have access to a "de-stroked" crank. Any thoughts on this? Supposed to move the power band/torque curve a little higher in the RPM range.

------------------
Richard Gautier
'87 GN, TE44 (was TE61), blue tops,IC and a half,Champion iron heads, Roller rockers,ported intake and plenum,70mm TB, Houston DP, no times yet!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Originally posted by SinistrV6:
I've got to replace my crankshaft and have access to a "de-stroked" crank. Any thoughts on this? Supposed to move the power band/torque curve a little higher in the RPM range.

It's certainly possible...I don't think you'll be happy with it unless you make numerous modifications to accompany it. If you run less cubic inches, you need to make up for it with RPM; good rods, a good balance job, steel caps or a girdle to hold the crank in at those increased RPMs... and trans mods to allow shifting higher. Without these things, you'll just needlessly give up torque and HP down low.

------------------

Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
In addition to what Kendall says, I think these engines, on the street, work best when there is some load applied to generate heat which spins the turbo. A short stroked engine will have to rev more to generate this heat which will make it not as streetable. Having said that, I may have my thinking on backward!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts