Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the ridge that seperates the rod journals has been sheered off? The local machine shop/engine builder says that the crank isn't repairable. I think he refered to the ridge as a flange or something. Anyway its been broken off....can this be fixed? dunno

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I don't believe it could economically done, if at all. That your noise?

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Steve. Thats from a motor that broke a rod. I was trying to get it rebuilt so I could have an ace in the hole again. Thanks for the info.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My noise has greatly diminished since I put in new rod bearings. I'm thinking/hoping that what I can hear now is either the cam sensor or the timing chain. I haven't had much time to work on the car in the past several days. If all works out I'll go to the track with it Friday.

Since my other crank is just a boat anchor now I guess I can get rid of some stuff. Ya think I can sell 4 good turbo rods to anyone? I actually bent one and other one broke but the other 4 are good. I'll take $2200 for them....or an TA Aluminum Block :p .

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I think you've lost more than an engine. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Remember "Hank the Crank?" Love that name! headbang I think the business is still alive, not sure whether he is though. dunno

Might check them and see what they say? They used to do all kinds of crank repairs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had Hank repair a BMS 3.60 stroke crank about 3 years ago that needed the same repair you describe. He actually called me after he sent it and wanted to know if I knew where anymore like it were. The crank later broke but not where it was repaired..It appears it was a ****ty casting. If you've seen Lee Thompson's hotair run in the 10's then you've seen that crank go down the track. I gave him that crank about 3 years ago and he ran it. It broke on him a couple weeks ago...STP

<small>[ June 12, 2003, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Maytag ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Wendy, send Hank a picture. I would think you could find an used crank for less than repair cost, tho. :)

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going shopping with my brother tomorrow for a father's day gift for our father. I'll have him bring his digital camera and take some pics of the crank and send them to Hank. Thank. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts