Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone not put there oil slinger back im there motors when they did a rebuild?do you really need this?will it hurt not to have it?
thanks all.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
It goes on the crankshaft not camshaft. Yes you do need it. It keeps the oil from oversplashing the front seal and keeping the harmonic balancer in alignment with the other pulleys. Without it the balancer will go in too far and your drive belt will wear wrong and fly off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you sure about this?i was told by a number of guys,that you really dont need it.thanks for your imput,i appreciate it.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Nobody says you have to take the word of long standing experts on the board, and not use it.

IMHO your "number of guys" are dead wrong. Unless of course you can fabricate or find a washer of the exact same thickness as the slinger, to replace it, hence ensuring the proper spacing of the crank pulley, etc.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Heck, I would leave it off and find out if your number of guys are right! Why ask, if you already have an answer you like? :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
i agree leave it off heel find out hahahaha loser :) :) :) yup yup

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Of course you should use the oil slinger. BUT if you DO happen to leave it out, I can't see how it's going to cause an alignment problem with the crank pulley. How thick can it be? 1/16th of an inch?

I bet oil wouldn't leak out the front seal with that slinger missing b/c of the nicer rubber seals now available.

I think next time I put a motor together I'll try it without........ NOT!! silly

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If somebody has one handy, please measure it. I am machining various parts for my gerotor pump setup, and it appears that that slinger must be at least .100" thick for everything to stack properly. I don't remember them being that thick tho... :confused: And, of course, I don't have a disassembled motor handy to check.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
ULYCYC:
Without it the balancer will go in too far and your drive belt will wear wrong and fly off.
no way........it is less than .050

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLYS BOYS,I NEEDED THAT .I DIDNT THINK THAT THE SLINGER WOULD BE A BIG DEAL,BESIDES THE ALIGNMENT ISSUE,BUT THATS A EASY FIX.I KNOW OF ALOT OF MACHINIST,AND HIGH END ENGINE BUILDERS WHO LEAVE THEM OUT,ALL THE TIME ON PURPOSE,BECAUSE THEY JUST ARE NOT NEEDED WITH THE KILLER SEALS WE HAVE THESE DAYS,I MEEN ALL THAT SLINGER DOES IS TRY TO PUSH OFF SLINGING OIL OFF THE SEAL, AND ADD TO THE ROTATING MASS,BECAUSE WITH THAT ROPE SEAL IT LEAKED,ALL THE TIME,EVEN WITH THE SLINGERTHERE IS A GUY FROM HERE IN MARYLAND,WHO HAPPENS TO HAVE ONE OF THE FASTEST GN ON THE EAST COAST,AND GUESS WHAT HE DONT HAVE IN HIS ENGINE?HEY THATS WHY THIS BAORD IS HERE FOR,TO TRY TO HELP OTHERS,AND TALK ABOUT BAD A__ GNS.THIS SITE DEFINETALLY IS NOT FOR FOOLISHNESS,AND SARCASTIC TYPE LIKE CALLING SOMEONE YOU DONT KNOW A HEEL(HOW GAY),BUT I GUESS ITS OKAY BECAUSE HE IS A KID.THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE INFO THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN ME FOR FREE,I REALLY HAVE MADE UP MY MIND ON WHAT I AM GOING TO DO,THANKS.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
He did not call you a heel. He was trying to say he'll.

We don't need all caps either. :)

What you are telling us is that you forgot to put the slinger on and now you are looking for a reason not to have to pull it apart to do it right? :)

GM could have made a lot more money by leaving that thing off in the first place!?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I don't think the oil is a big issue but the alignment is. I have a slinger buried in the garage somewhere but from memory it's .040 thick. This is enough to effect the crank sensor interrupter wheel. I remember some complaints of sensors breaking and the interrupter hitting the timing cover. Also the serpentine belt alignment is more critical then V belts. The inner groves will chew up in no time if alignment is off. I don't see the problem in putting it back on or making a shim as a substitute. I believe it's more usefull then the hood ornament wink Because a pro engine builder leaves it off that doesn't mean it's correct for your car. Many race without alternators would that work in the street dunno

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I wonder if they would do yard work also? :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IM JUST GETTING IMPUTS BROTHERS.I AM AT THE STAGE TO PUT ALL OF THAT IN NOW,BUT I WAS THINKING,IF I DIDNT NEED IT,YOU KNOW.I WILL BE PUTTING IT IN BECAUSE,IN MY BOOK MAJORITY WINS.THANKS TO ALL FOR INFO.I DO REALLY APPRECIATE IT.BY THE WAY,HAS ANYONE BAUGHT ONE OF THOSE OIL PUMP TIMING COVERS OFF EBAY?IFSO,DI YOURS HAVE THE WRONG SIZE(TOO BIG)THREADS COMING OUT OF THE PUMP,SO NOW YOUR OIL COOLER ADAPTER NUT DOESNOT FIT?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
WMNRUNNER:
THERE IS A GUY FROM HERE IN MARYLAND,WHO HAPPENS TO HAVE ONE OF THE FASTEST GN ON THE EAST COAST,AND GUESS WHAT HE DONT HAVE IN HIS ENGINE?
Who is that and what was the reason for not using it?
The alignment would definately not cause any problem whatsoever, it will however, help to prevent oil leaks.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
And it adds to the rotating mass! Probably almost as much s the paint on the torque converter! Golly, what a revelation...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts