Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your wondering why your headers are glowing and your injector duty cycle is through the roof, and your fuel pump is good, and your making 1/2 the HP you should, Please check the cam timing before you line up with a 109 with a TT chip at Picton.

How To Check and Adjust Camshaft Timing - Mustang & Fords Magazine

Degreeing a camshaft helps to confirm valve-timing events as they relate to piston travel and crankshaft rotation. Although most cam manufacturers have a good track record when it comes to cam-card accuracy, there's always a chance you might wind up with a mispackaged camshaft or a defective cam out of index that doesn't match specifications. It's always better to discover a defective or mispackaged camshaft during installation than to wonder why performance isn't as expected once an engine is buttoned up. Camshaft flaws don't have to be huge to adversely affect performance. Lobes that are off one or two degrees will alter performance significantly and can lead to serious engine damage.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
I would never just put a cam in a motor without "Degreeing" the camshaft. :dunno::sw:

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This cam is in "degreed"for sure..........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB1Wrv0SiyQ&feature=related]1650 HP RX7, "The Sleeper Part 2", Scary and Funny, from NRE. - YouTube[/ame]

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks JB for the support:) Anyway I have a crank socket tool for rent to mount your degree wheel, however if you think the Dots are good enough you won''t be needing it, but remember the dyno does not lie! If your not making the number" your not going to make the number at the track! pretty straight forward.

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Riddle me this............95 lb injectors......20 psi boost duty cycle is about 90%, fuel pressure is good. Vehicle is missing 300 HP, what is going on here, because Inquiring minds want to know.......

·
blank
2,898 Posts
Riddle me this............95 lb injectors......20 psi boost duty cycle is about 90%, fuel pressure is good. Vehicle is missing 300 HP, what is going on here, because Inquiring minds want to know.......
Yes it sounds familiar, was a guy who was motivated to give up on his stage 1 as I recall?

Not being a d*nk I hope, just reminding everyone has made mistakes...

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
There was some serious ignition issues that day....

I'd like to see the same tests again now that the ignition is somewhat operational...

a Sloppy timing chain wont help matters either...

:cheers:

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes it sounds familiar, was a guy who was motivated to give up on his stage 1 as I recall?

Not being a d*nk I hope, just reminding everyone has made mistakes...
For once Daveismissing is correct, I really messed up the stage 1 project. This is why I am pushing the importance of checking the cam timing. The data logs are all pointing to the same direction as my symptoms, high fuel demand and no NO POWER. This can;t be tuned out, front of the motor has to be torn apart, and degreed in to the cam specs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts