Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited (reportedly) a 210/205 cam ("Club"/ Reed/ ?) with my car purchase. What's a good shift rpm for this cam?--and, what's the characteristics (torque/HP/etc.)/advantages of this cam vs. say a 205/210 cam.

Seems mine is basackwards, as most seem to run those typically having greater exhaust vs. intake duration!?

:dunno: TIA for thoughts,,,

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
sell it to someone on ebay and let them worry about lobe problems and noisy valvetrain, false detonation, etc. :sw:

·
Extreme Huffer
144 Posts
Is the cam even new?

Your prob better off getting something new that you know what it is.

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
turbomonte2 said:
I inherited (reportedly) a 210/205 cam ("Club"/ Reed/ ?) with my car purchase. What's a good shift rpm for this cam?--and, what's the characteristics (torque/HP/etc.)/advantages of this cam vs. say a 205/210 cam.

Seems mine is basackwards, as most seem to run those typically having greater exhaust vs. intake duration!?

Kumonguys, cam is in engine already--noted in sig.--& I'm not about to now just change cams for the hell of it. Please refer to original questions re: "performance characteristics"--if you have any insights here.

TIA again,,, Monte

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
while it lasts, maybe another 400 rpm of range..shift it around 5200-5300 rpm on the strip.

It won't make any difference to speak of with a stock turbo, but, it will make a little more power above 4600 with a TE44.

How many people read signatures with such a question :dunno:

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve Wood said:
How many people read signatures with such a question :dunno:
When you grow up to be my age, you'll have to learn to read all the fine-print and also read-between-the-lines! :D Tks for the reply.

Do you have any insights to the other question posed--re: performance characteristics of a cam with intake/exhaust durations reversed/opposite, say for a "205/210" (I know, probably not such an animal--but I'm just speaking "in general") vs. my 210/205,,,? :dunno:

Per normal, tks again for letting us mere mortals inside the guru brains... :cheers:

Monte

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
my opinion is that longer intake is better...might reduce some of the back pressure from the turbo...on the other hand, for street drivers, I have not seen much performance variation between cams...main difference is how noisy they are compared to one another.

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Engine seems to lose its pull around 5100-5200 (maybe I'm expecting too much?). I have (reportedly installed) stock/light valve springs so damage from over-reving should not be a problem (I was glad this to be the case when input hub on converter sheared under WOT).

My valve springs are Speed Pro VS677 194#ers (are stocks 198?) and Speed Pro anti-pump-up lifters. So, at least, my "bad cam lobes, etc." is not under high spring pressures to accelerate its demise...

Monte

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I believe that cam was made by Lunati. Nothing special and if still quiet don't worry about it. I should peak around 5400 if new and new matching springs. Maybe a fresh set of Comp 980 springs would give it a little life. Your old one would be an equivalent of Comp 979. But either spring new would help. I would shift it at what Steve said.

Your older then Steve :eek!: :sw: :sw: :cool:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
as the stock turbo is pretty much dead at 4600-4800, I am not surprised that it runs out of steam as you describe.

Factory knew what it was doing when it put the combination together originally.

RPM ain't worth nothing if the airflow is not there to feed it.

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ULYCYC said:
Your older then Steve :eek!: :sw: :sw: :cool:
Eyup--but younger than old Buzzard!

Tks for info! :cheers:

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve Wood said:
as the stock turbo is pretty much dead at 4600-4800, I am not surprised that it runs out of steam as you describe.

Factory knew what it was doing when it put the combination together originally.

RPM ain't worth nothing if the airflow is not there to feed it.
Could I refer you again to the "fine-print" & "read between the lines" (my signature)--where I do, in fact, have a non-stock TE-44 w/ plenty of boost remaining. :confused:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
you can... :D

Then, can I refer you to the post where I stated it should pull well to about 5200-5300? :D

Sounds like you are talking about 100 rpm to me...I might want to look at the tuning, first. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I read your signature. Does that mean you are running 16# of boost?

If so, I would not suspect significantly more air being flowed over the stock turbo...not at that level. :)

·
Extreme Huffer
144 Posts
Im sure you would still get more power out of the correct cam. Since your are not even sure what cam you are running for sure.

Do you know the intake centerline / lobe seperation of your cam?

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steve Wood said:
I read your signature. Does that mean you are running 16# of boost?

If so, I would not suspect significantly more air being flowed over the stock turbo...not at that level. :)
16# boost=correct (I'm still getting about a 2# spike, however, before controller takes over--about 1-1/2 to 2 seconds).

I realize I need more boost + timing to get more power from what I already have. For me, for now--that means alky (or higher octane or add some xylene) and a new chip, of course. Don't have the $$ now for alky--but that's my next likely step.

I'm also thinking about cold air kit--but have read mixed reviews re: benefits of cooler inlet temp being off-set by more pressure drop added from plumbing (wadayathink?).

Tks again for input!

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
77tech9 said:
Do you know the intake centerline / lobe seperation of your cam?
I have absolutely no clue--seeing as how I don't know what cam I have (for sure) to start with. Right now, it ain't broke--so...

Tks for the guidance, however.

BTW, what cam would be recommended were I to break this one & need replace it?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
turbomonte2 said:
16# boost=correct (I'm still getting about a 2# spike, however, before controller takes over--about 1-1/2 to 2 seconds).

I realize I need more boost + timing to get more power from what I already have. For me, for now--that means alky (or higher octane or add some xylene) and a new chip, of course. Don't have the $$ now for alky--but that's my next likely step.

I'm also thinking about cold air kit--but have read mixed reviews re: benefits of cooler inlet temp being off-set by more pressure drop added from plumbing (wadayathink?).

Tks again for input!
I would go with Mark H's cold air...If you were in the nines, it might cause a drop...but, then, you could go to the four inch kit and be ahead of the game once again. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
turbomonte2 said:

I ran this cam for a few summers. Did 10.90's @ 126mph. Personally, I loved this cam, and am a fan of reversed pattern sticks on turboed motors. The cam I used was a Lunati, purchased from the GSCA. If you want specs, I sold it to "Phatman" who frequents these boards-----He might still have the cam card. You might also want to freshen the valve springs, as already mention. As for noise, mine was always dead quiet, unlike the rollers I've switched to. Brian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts