Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to set the cam sensor. I just dropped in a used engine I picked up several years ago. I took the cam sensor out to prime the engine.
Now I want to set the cam sensor. I have an analog multimeter.

I have power to the alternator, interior lights, dash. I do not have the trans installed. I have the fuel pump, computer, coil pack all the connectors to the engine hooked up. Except the maf connections and ac stuff.

Here is how I am trying to test.
I rotated the engine to the correct timing mark with the tape.

I hook the neg of the multi-meter to a ground on the alternator bracket. I test it by touching the pos of the meter to the alt. pos and see the needle sweep up.

I take an alligator clip on the center pin (b) of the cap harness and clip the other end to the multi-meter pos. Set the key to the on position then try and turn the sensor.
I turn the sensor back and forth and the needle never moves.

So what am i missing.

Thanks,
Rob

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Welcome,
just to confirm you set the engine to TDC (compression stroke) & then went another inch past the timing mark (aproximately forget the exact amount)
Is there power at the plug as well as the others so you know that the power is working fine & not an issue? This will get sorted out for you just give the guys some time on this Sunday afternoon. :yup: :cheers:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Does your cam sensor have +5V going into it on one of the other wires?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Besides having the key turned on, have you checked the c3i fuse and the ecm fuse?

Do you have a code 41 showing?

At the cam sensor...the black wire should be showing ground.

...the gray/red wire should be showing voltage when the key is on.

...and, of course, the blue wire should have the varying signal voltage.

I would start by checking the ground wire and the gray/red wire for proper circuit/voltage. If not there..I would check both fuses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So let me ask a basic question.

The cam sensor setting tool that caspers provides (which I do not have) looks like it plugs into the cam sensor harness itself.

Is the car wire harness supposed to be plugged into the cam sensor harness as this procedure is done.?

Where do you put the ground wire for the multi meter?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If the car side of the harness is not plugged into the cam sensor side, then there is no power and there will be no result. using the voltmeter method...one probes the center wire of the connected harness.

Put the ground probe to the engine...or to the black wire in the harness.

Contrary to what Earl posted above about five volts...the voltage is normally more like ten volts...

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.