Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 GN stock, only modifications are
TA-49 Turbo, adj wastegate, driverside valve cover breather, passenger side valve cover breather and vdo boost gauge. Now will my car run like crap if I put in race cams from Ramchargers.com. They dont seem to be much, only $119.00. Or do i have to do other things before i get this kind of setup.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Save the cam for later. There are many more upgrades that you can do before ruining your gas mileage, idle and shift points all for 10HP. Not to mention the hassle of breaking in the cam and noisy valvetrain.

Stock cams work very well in these cars, keep it simple... powersix

·
Registered
47 Posts
GNRacer:
I have an 87 GN stock, only modifications are
TA-49 Turbo, adj wastegate, driverside valve cover breather, passenger side valve cover breather and vdo boost gauge. Now will my car run like crap if I put in race cams from Ramchargers.com. They dont seem to be much, only $119.00. Or do i have to do other things before i get this kind of setup.

Thanks,
Rich
my car only has one cam :D , but if i was to purchase one, it would be the 212/212 with 112 lobe separation for better vacuum(if you were to have vacuum brakes in the future)

still works great with the D5 stock convertor,TE44, and other basic mods

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
When you get down in the lower 11's, a cam might start make sense.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so u guys think i should get a fuel pump from racetronix with the plug and play or a pump with hot wire. This would probably my next upgrade I guess. Time to deliver more fuel

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
340 Walbro with the PnP Hotwire kit.
Find a article on www.gnttype.org that tells you how to make your fuel pressure regulator adjustable. That'll save you a few bucks as well.

HTH -Matt-

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The do it yourself regulator mod does not work very well. Not worth losing an engine over the few bucks saved, imo.

Want to save some money, make your own hot wire kit for $12-15.

Look around for fuel pump deals...a Walbro 340 can sometimes be found fairly cheaply. I have not looked to see what the usual vendors are selling them for at the moment.

·
Moderator/Procrastinator
1,500 Posts
Racetronix fuel pump and Hotwire kit
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Scanmaster

Those are mandatory. I would put them up there as the first few things you should buy along with a boost gauge and adjustable wastegate, both of which you already have. Then you're ready to go fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts