Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, did the cam break-in and everything went pretty well. Only did one bone-headed thing which is pretty good for me. The engine temps got too high and we shut the break-in down at 22 minutes. The engine got up to 230 and after we shut it down I realized why. The protective blanket that I use when I work on the car was covering the front grill. I forgot to remove it. Got a pretty good oil leak, but I'm 90% sure it was the ps valve cover which I reused. Also there was a clicking sound that I was really worried about, but that turned out to be a zip tie making contact with the fan.
I'm happy-nothing blew up or fell apart. This is my first cam and heads so I was really scared.
When the car cools down, I will change the oil and filter and check on that oil leak. Don't tell Steve, Ed or especially Russ about the blanket over the grill.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
least you did not claim it was our blanket!

Surely you broke in the cams that were in the Grooms engines? I know you did! I warned you too many times not to believe those that said it was fine to shut the engine down during break in! :sw: :D

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve Wood said:
least you did not claim it was our blanket!

Surely you broke in the cams that were in the Grooms engines? I know you did! I warned you too many times not to believe those that said it was fine to shut the engine down during break in! :sw: :D
Yeah I broke in the cams and everything went fine, but this was the first time I had ever installed a cam and cylinder heads. I assuming 22 minutes is sufficent time on the breakin.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which do you prefer?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then you've never had a Toasted Almond.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then you have never had a Toasted Almond.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Only 22 minutes.................Your F^%$#@

Better start pullin the motor out again.... :D

Not sure if that oil leak can be fixed with the motor in the car....... They can be pretty tricky....

Just playin Chris....... :D

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
First of all it still knocks. But I didn't really think that would change. The good news is this annoying ticking that I had since I bought the car is gone. Here are my new issues:
1. When I start the car, something is making a very high pitch whine. I pretty convinced it's the starter. I'm also hearing an intermittent weird sound from the starter area when the car is idling. Like a low grade rumbling sound. The sound stops as soon as the key is released. Could the starter be misaligned?
2. I had broken the resistor on the fan, and joined all three wires to bypass it. Now the fan is always on high speed and it is louder than the motor.
3. The knock issue seems to be better. If I stay on it, the knock goes away. The Casper gauge is going into red, but the Scanmaster is averaging 1.5 degrees of retard. All this at 22 pounds of boost.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If I read what you wrote, it would seem you are holding the key to start after the engine fires??

As the starter and block are the same, I don't know why it would be misaligned...but, it does sound like a starter-ringgear meshing problem-maybe.

As far as the knock goes...prior your timing retard was hitting double digits at times...

Now, you may be having actual knock due to the amount of boost you are running and your alky settings. Before we start trying to dianose the matter...why don't you just drive the car a few miles and get the minor stuff sorted out...then we can try to dial things in.

You may have actually made some progress this time-I hope!

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve, what can I do about the starter. It sounds like an air tool when you install lug nuts. It only makes the noise when I turn the key and it engages. Then it stops immediately when the car starts and I release the key.
Also, what about the fan. It's loud as hell. Sounds like a helicopter.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
find a resistor for the fan...slow it back down on low-or switch to dual fans and run one on low and both on high.

as I don't know what is different on the starter from then and now...I guess the only thing to try is to remove it and reinstall to make sure it is fitting correctly...or check the clearance between the solenoid gear and the ring gear...

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a turbobuicks ministarter. Maybe I should just install it. Kind of dumb, but I've been waiting for my present starter to fail. I'm just happy that so far everything is holding together. The car has never been this dirty. It's coated with dirt. Tomorrow I'll wash it and I'm sure it will drive better. :)

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
Then you've never had a Toasted Almond.
I love those...dang it NOW I what one ...
chrisgarrett46 said:
I have a turbobuicks ministarter. Maybe I should just install it. Kind of dumb, but I've been waiting for my present starter to fail.
Hmmm I think you should too and wash the car while you are at it. I glad it's coming together. Take the car to Indy and run Russ over...better than a 2x4 to the back of the head. But we demand pics of it..Shh don't anyone tell Russ.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice to hear you got it runnin chris.

Hope your bad luck has run out. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate your encouragement. Not like some people I know (R.M.).

·
Registered
732 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
Steve, what can I do about the starter. It sounds like an air tool when you install lug nuts. It only makes the noise when I turn the key and it engages. Then it stops immediately when the car starts and I release the key.
Also, what about the fan. It's loud as hell. Sounds like a helicopter.
What did you do with the starter shims? If it was shimmed, replacing the starter probably won't help much.

Kudo's on your tenacity.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
I have a turbobuicks ministarter. Maybe I should just install it. Kind of dumb, but I've been waiting for my present starter to fail. I'm just happy that so far everything is holding together. The car has never been this dirty. It's coated with dirt. Tomorrow I'll wash it and I'm sure it will drive better. :)
Install it....
Also I wouldn't run 22lbs of boost just yet. Leave the alky off and keep the boost low until you change the oil a few times and cut the oil filter open.
I glad the 4 legged Eddie guided you to victory :cheers:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.