Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok when i get this eng together im going to use new lifters & stock pushrods on a 206-206 cam cause i cant see how im going to set any thing with new unprimed lifters"Is there a chance in hell that the stock **** is going to work without having to get adjustible' longer or shorter push rods?Is breakin going to be affected if it ticks a little?

------------------
Keith Davis---"Putting it together!:)86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads,intake & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,T.C. Orange stripe conv.THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
seems like someone said it had a smaller base circle but then, Nivek, said his took shorter rods, so who knows?

the lifters have plenty of tension even without oil and you can try soaking them in some light weight oil over night if you have concerns.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
44 Posts
Steve you are correct. Ive seen people speak of smaller base circles witch will require oversize pushrods. I have also delt with larger base circles that require undersized pushrods. fast86, i have seen a reply to a post saying they put a 206 206 cam in their motor with stock pushrods and had no problems. No clatter, nothing. Now Nivek and I have had problems with the 206 206 and i dont know how much of a problem it is other than i cant stand the NOISE. Notice the caps. Im not trying to alarm you but you need to know what to expect. I used stock legnth pushrods and had "Noise". I bought .035" over pushrods and cut the clatter by half. In the mean time i got a set of adjustables to set the preload on the lifters to .030 to be done with it. Turns out i have as much NOISE as ever and when i measured them(remember they are set to specs) they were .115" shorter than the oversize pushrods that were 50% quieter. GO figure. I have 20/25# oil pressure at 900 rpm and 50/55# at 2100 rpm so i dont think its oil pressure. My buddy wants to help me install another cam because he has rebuilt twice and never encountered valve train noise and he runs hotter cams than this. Im just taking a break and letting the dust settle. Again i'm not trying to freak you out but you need to be prepared just in case. Good luck....Carter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts