Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Still learning
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying an '86 GN w/70k miles on it. It's been sitting for 8 years due to the brakes failing and the owner not knowing how to fix them or having the money. I'm very familiar with "A" bodies, and the "G" body looks like a smaller version, so I think I'm O.K on general mechanicals. I'd like to know what the weak parts are on these cars, and any specific areas I should spend extra time looking at. Rust areas, weak mechanical areas, etc.. I think these cars had an early verion of ABS, right? How hard is it to fix? Am I better off converting it to non-ABS from a Gran Prix or Monte? This car is complete with no mods.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
is it a t top car- if it is, pull the t top trim under the tops and check for rust around the seals, check for rust in the door jambs, floors, rockers, and rear quarters and frame

the brakes is a powermaster system- its an electric booster. alot of people like to convert it to a vacume system just to make it easier to get parts for. you can buy reman units from cardone but they do short runs then backorder them.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
No,ABS on these cars. Rust as mentioned above. If it's been sitting for 8 years that's not good. These cars are like women,very finaky :) If you are a good mechanic check out and hear it run and drive. Post back. :6:

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Just keep in mind 99.9% of the people that bought these cars new and used beat the living hell out of them! I don't care what any of them say. IF they didn't beat it a family member did or the shop they took it to for general repairs! That motor was famous for dry starting with low to no oil pressure for a few quick seconds. That and beating the bag off them tend to do havok on the bearings. Also around 60-70K is when everything starts breaking. That's also about how long a turbo lasts. Headgaskets were also a weak point if they were running high boost or overboosted. You'll be spending many hours under the hood replacing stuff that's for sure!

·
Registered
751 Posts
My advice would be to make sure you have another vehicle. The guys are right about the cars being like women. Also, everything isnt what it seems with these cars, meaning: if the seller starts a sentence saying the only thing wrong is....... They lying. The car has been abused and if its a T-top good luck to ya because mine was and I got leaks. I let my want for the car get in the way of what I was buying. The car ran ok when I bought it, but now problems are coming out of no were. Good luck. :)

·
Still learning
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car may have been beat on, but not modified. He only wants 1k for it. It's not running right now, but I don't know if thats because he couldn't fix the brakes, or some other reason. It does not have T-tops, so hopefully not many leaks. My son actually found it. His friend's dad has it sitting on the side of his house. Of course, my son (14), wants to know if it would make a good first car. I think turbos have to be a bit more maintenance than an NA engine due to the extra plumbing and spinning turbo. I'll be speaking to him about it today so I can get some more specifics.

·
Irish ****
1,716 Posts
Have a cylinder leakdown test done...a compression test only tells half the story (as I'm painfully aware). If the body is straight and the price is right, you'll want to upgrade the fp, inj, turbo anyway.
I was skimming...$1,000? Dang...if you don't want it I'll have it shipped to Vancouver!

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Oh well hell for a 1K grab that thing up site unseen! Everything is still around for these cars and a ton of stuff is still around from GM for them as well. First thing you want to do now is read http://www.gnttype.org/ from end to end!

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
yeah if you dont want it put me in line i will come and get it and give you a finders fee!! :yup:

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
$1000 bucks...take it....or someone else will

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
PhillyTurboSix said:
Just keep in mind 99.9% of the people that bought these cars new and used beat the living hell out of them! I don't care what any of them say. IF they didn't beat it a family member did or the shop they took it to for general repairs! That motor was famous for dry starting with low to no oil pressure for a few quick seconds. That and beating the bag off them tend to do havok on the bearings. Also around 60-70K is when everything starts breaking. That's also about how long a turbo lasts. Headgaskets were also a weak point if they were running high boost or overboosted. You'll be spending many hours under the hood replacing stuff that's for sure!

give me a brake!!!! these were just normal cars .. I think I saw a few at the track for years and years :rolleyes: :D when I sold my wife's TTA I did say it was "woman owned and driven" :eek!: :crazy: and raced ummmmmmm once I think :headbang:

·
Registered
552 Posts
$1000.00 ?! WOW, anyway as some of the guys here have mentioned I hope this won't be your only method of transportation. They are great cars but they sure do test your patience. If you're mechanically inclined I'm sure it will be alot easier. Paper pushing Noobs like me tend to get a little over our heads with these cars.

My car also has 70K miles and I've owned for a year and the parts that have had to be replaced is growing quite long. Good luck.

·
Still learning
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. I bought the car yesteray for the grand sum of 800 bucks. Here's a breakdown of the car:

1986 Buick Gand National
72k miles
Original owner
No missing parts
Sunroof
Driven up to 2 years ago - driven and parked where it sits today
trunk FULL of NOS parts

Paint oxidation everywhere
small rust bubbles on drivers side of sunroof
superficial rust at base of windshield
rust area where an emblem used to be on the drivers side of the trunk
bad PowerMaster system

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
sweeeeeeeeeeet

lets see some pictures

·
Still learning
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only have some crappy ones on my son's cell phone. I'll post some pics as soon as I we get it to the house in a couple weeks.

·
Still learning
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a couple of pics from my son's cell phone. I'll get some better ones in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
You got that for 800????!!!! Geesh, I never get that lucky.

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
good deal man!!! i thought i got a deal on mine!! you stole that car!!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
tony moore said:
good deal man!!! i thought i got a deal on mine!! you stole that car!!
X2 DAMN!!!!! Nice score :cheers:

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
Seriously,

What kind of moron, in todays modern world, would sell that car for $800?

Something's a bit fishy.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts