Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just to give a background i have turbo 302 260z and 500awhp talon. both I personally built in my garage so I feel confident in my abilities. BUT lack the knowledge on this new engine.

Building my next project car.
from the info I gather heres what I want
86-87 turbo block(stronger crank and other tid bits vs NA)
109 casting #

but what I cant seem to find is the limits on internals.

the block seems to be good for 550-600 but is that crank hp or whp?

rods and piston im assuming will have a 500hp limit? how about the crank?

stock heads and cams should be sufficient

and ofcourse keeping the rpm low 5200-5300 shift point.

any and all inputs welcome. or if you know of a 600whp build that would be great info to reference.

USE:
daily car on a 2400lbs-2600lbs chassis and possibly track time but only like once or twice a year.(if at that)

im thinking twin walbro, bigger injectors, fpr, FMIC, 3" piping BOV, maybe a holset or borgwarner turbo. Megasquirt with sd or maybe stock ecu with chip.(but ms may be easier) and so forth.

Side note.
who makes adapter plates for 5speed or 6 speed?
after researching this topic i know not a whole on info on this but its been done. but I found no link or info.
yes i know auto is faster in the track but I like driving manual.

thanks

·
Registered
13,053 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is our old set up from 2007... It had about 740 rwhp .. 87 GN weighin in at 3660#s an running 138 mph. Motor is goin back in my Mazda shortly. Put at leased 25k on the motor. as you can see a lot of stock "junk" was used with excellent results :headbang:

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/buick-v6-turbo-tech/69702-melissas-secret-9-94-138-17-combo.html
wow that's way higher than what I expected. :cheers:

since this is your old setup, mind telling on how much boost you guys were running?

any dyno sheet? im especially interested in the trq curve and power curve.
how high did you spin it?

at what power level does this start needing a girdle?
any particular reason that you guys cut the crank or did you just wanted to make sure everything is in order?

thanks

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
wow that's way higher than what I expected. :cheers:

since this is your old setup, mind telling on how much boost you guys were running?

any dyno sheet? im especially interested in the trq curve and power curve.
how high did you spin it?

at what power level does this start needing a girdle?
any particular reason that you guys cut the crank or did you just wanted to make sure everything is in order?

thanks

from what I remember boost was 27/28#s... 5800/6000 rpm ...Sorry don't do dyno's. This is my daughters daily driver in the summer. If a crank needs to be cut ya cut it. We did just what we had to. :cheers:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from what I remember boost was 27/28#s... 5800/6000 rpm ...Sorry don't do dyno's. This is my daughters daily driver in the summer. If a crank needs to be cut ya cut it. We did just what we had to. :cheers:
thanks a bunch.

:eek!: lucky daughters lol

any reason why you decided to add a girdle or just for piece of mind? im trying to decide if ill need one at 600 or not. or just buy it just incase

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
personal preference.. Some do the girdles, some do the caps, some do both an some do nothing. we push the hell out of these motors so I feel better with the girdle. :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts