Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could swear that I read online somewhere that the Buick 3.0 FWD v6's were cast with RWD engine mount bosses. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks guys

Shay

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have read something about this before. I think that the TTA guys have to use these heads because they are narrower? I could be wrong. I think that they also have a smaller combustion chamber that raises the compression ratio. Again I am not an expert but think I read that somewhere.
HTH
Zak

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe. I am no where familiar with the TTA guys but I doubt they are using 3.0 heads. But this can be easily figured out. 3.0 heads have center bolt valve covers. I was more interesed in the block, whether or not it has the bosses for RWD engine mount. The reason ask is that I have one of tese engines just sitting in storage with low miles, it's just burried behind everything and I was thinkin of using for a project.

Shay

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think maybe you might have heard that the heads on the turbo trans-ams are the same ones used on the new supercharged Regal GS and GTP. I believe I have heard the same thing. I have no proof of this, but I'm pretty sure I have heard it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The 196 (3.0) was originally a RWD engine installed in the 75-80 h body cars such as the Chevy Monza. The FWD ones are different block castings and have the different heads.
There are a few styles of FWD engines. The TTA heads are the style used on the early FWD engines (86-88)
The 3800 in the newer cars is the Series 2 and basically a completely different engine.

[This message has been edited by GNVAIR (edited May 20, 2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts