Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see if anyone else has used these tires. I have these on my 87 we-4 and it held 12 psi at the line and actually hooked when i ran at the track. of Course it is mostly stock other than exhaust. It ran a 13.8 @ 100mph. I would suggest these to anyone, even the guys who worked on my car were amazed when they held.

------------------

·
Registered
812 Posts
Bridgestones = Firestoness = upside down in the ditch! Had them, hated them, on to better and safer tires now. Be careful.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by Spoolin Around:
Bridgestones = Firestoness = upside down in the ditch! Had them, hated them, on to better and safer tires now. Be careful.
Firestone tires are only unsafe with the Ford Explorer. Which means it is not just the tire.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
How many people have had a flat and lived to tell about it??

I think the tires are getting a bad rap. It's the drivers that flip the truck over.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I have Firestone SZ's on my GN and they are the best tires I have ever owned. They were not cheap and they are a Bridgestone look alike...The Bridgestones have no relationship to the original firestones and that is just lousy information.

The true Bridgestones are excellent tires and great in the rain.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Lousy information Steve? Tell that to the families of the people hurt by the delamination of the Firestone Wilderness A/T tires. You tell me why my set of Firestone A/T Wilderness tires blew 3 belts and are junk with only 30 Kms on the odometer of my Chevrolet Tahoe? I was just giving my opinion on the brand via experience with it, not an expert but also not an idiot. And I do believe that Bridgestone is owned by Firestone are they not, or vise-versa? I am sure that your tires are just fine, but with all the performance tires on the market these days, why take a chance.... Just my O2 and only that, but please don't belittle what is just my opinion. I am always up for good debates, but not insults. You should know better as one of the board king pins.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Hey Spoolin,

My dad and I bought a set of Bridgestones for his car in 1987 and those tires were great, we drove the car to Bowling Green 4 or 5 times, to Atco New Jersey once and even to Norwalk Ohio twice. Those tires always rode well, hooked well at the track when we were first starting out racing in 1987 and they are still on the stock rims today.
But I never realized that they were at all related to Firestone. Is this true, they are a Firestone tire?

Talk to you later,

Paul Beal
[email protected]

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I got burned many years ago on Firestone "500" tires. Steve should remember those.
Since then I will not buy Firestone. My neighbor has a 98 Explorer with the exploding tires. He only drives 1500 mile a year since he works 1 mile from home.The only time it seen 60mph is when I drive it to get a state inspection. 3 of his A/T tires started to loose the threads in patches. So I cant see how Ford can be blamed for all these problems

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
there are only 4 major tire manufacturers in the U.S.
1)Bridgestone-Firestone
2)Michelin-BFGoodrich
3)Kelly-Springfield i.e Goodyear
4)General

all of these manaufacturers have had great problems at 1 point or another. the only thing that gets me about the whole explorer fanasco was that after the majorally announced firestone recall, ford also made general and goodyear recall tires that were authorized replacements for the wilderness a/t's but it wasn't nearly publicized. 2 years before that i was selling tires and am trained by all the major manufacturers and I remember numerous general tires on 95-96 chevy, gmc, ford and dodge trucks that were splitting right down the center of the tread. it is kinda funny how ford is the only one that had problems with the wilderness a/t's.

------------------
Mustang, it's what's for dinner.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Originally posted by shaunchrisc:
Firestone tires are only unsafe with the Ford Explorer. Which means it is not just the tire.

Tell that to Jim Haas and he'll punch you out. A Firestone Steeltex let go on his 2 year old Superduty and it nearly took him, his truck, his trailer and his family with it. I had one starting to come apart on my Yukon and preemtively replaced them with michelins. I'd rather see my money going to the French than the Japanese.

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

[This message has been edited by UNGN (edited January 14, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
A Bridgestone tire or Firestone SZ has absolutely no relationship to a Wilderness AT and your comment was lousy information. If you will do a little reading, you will find the owners of said tires to be very happy with them.

I am quite familiar with the Wilderness AT's as I replaced a set of them on my Explorer a year before the recall with a set of Michs.

I am also familiar with the old Firestone steel belts because I had a 74 T Bird with a set of them. I went thru about 8 of them.

To condemn something because it has the Firestone name on the side only, rather than on actual facts for the particular tire is ridiculous.

Altho', Firestone certainly shares the blame for the failures, good ol' Ford knew there were problems with the Explorer and covered it up with lower tire pressures and crossed fingers. They are in it up to their ears as well.

If a tire blows on a vehicle being driven properly, it should not roll over. If it does, then there is a design problem with the vehicle and/or the driver. The streets of Houston are littered with rolled over suvs and most of them do not have blown out tires but rather some idiot behind the wheel that thought he/she was driving a Miata when swerving thru traffic. My Explorer feels like it is lifting a rear tire off the ground everytime I turn while breaking fairly hard.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Obviously there was a problem with the tires, but you cannot only point the finger of blame at Firestone.

Steve is right, Ford did know that the tires were defective, but did nothing. Don't believe all of the uninformed people out there blaming Firestone for all of the problems.

Ford did not end the relationship between themselves and Firestone; Firestone did. Firestone was pissed because Ford tried to claim not to have any knowledge of the problem when in fact they were well aware of it.

And did you here about the second recall that Ford had to handle? Apperently when Ford redesigned the Explorer, the tires were getting cut on the assembly line. But this did not stop them from sending the Explorers to a dealer near you.

Yes, Firestone made a bad tire, and they are paying for it with tons of bad poblicity and a recall. Ford is also to blame, if they did not allow the tires to be on the road, all of this could have been avoided. Read the facts, not just the headlines.

Sorry if I sound like a d!ck, I just want to spread some truth on the subject. I respect everyone else's opinion. "no flames intended"

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
I am also familiar with the old Firestone steel belts because I had a 74 T Bird with a set of them. I went thru about 8 of them.

To condemn something because it has the Firestone name on the side only, rather than on actual facts for the particular tire is ridiculous.
I had to replace 4 of them (500's) One time I was on camping vacation with some friends.
I had 4 friends and camping gear in my 72 Delta 88 when a front tire blew a part at 60mph in the Blue ridge mountains. I almost went over the side but only bent the rim and ripped off the muffler from a large rock divider. Firestone said the car must have been overloaded and the damage was driver error. So they only replaced the tire. This was days before the recall. So I'm happy with my personal boycott against Firebomb tires

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by shaunchrisc:
ONLY the Explorer, eh?

That's odd, I am certain I was driving a Suburban when my Firestone tire blew up on the Florida Turnpike and I ran off the road....

Tire pressure was checked and found to be perfect before I started my trip only 150 miles earlier. I was stunned when I saw the tire, but the road service guy said he saw it all the time with Firestones.

Frankly, I don't care if it was just the model of tire I was using or not. I'll give myself some peace of mind and stay away from Firestone.....

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i'm going with the firestone firehawk ss20's. my friend has them on his t-bird and i mean he kills them and they just dont die. i beleave they are 60k tires. IF my car dont sell in the next week or so i'm defintaly going to put ss20's on my car.

------------------
Rob
87 GN fully loaded with 85k :(
TA49
Ultra Flow exhaust
Cold air induction
3" DP
T-Link comming soon hopefuly
shooting for low 13's high 12's
kenne belle headers
ATR ram air

http://firebird_1252.tripod.com/1987gn/

·
Registered
812 Posts
Read about them Steve? I have done some research in regards to tires lately as I am in the market for a new set for my GN. It just blows my mind how simple things get taken out of context on this board, is it safe to say that personal opinions have topass through you from now on? Who died and made you the opinion regulator? Until this incident I thought that you were a decent guy that helped people out. But it is either you dislike me or Canadians, or you are just being a dink.... I do not know but why attack my opinion. After all it is just an opinion and all I stated was the fact that Firestone is Bridgestone and that they have had problems with quality on the tires. Why take a chance on "NEW TIRES", not tires made a few years back, when it comes to safety? These days companies are producing cheaper quality and charging more...that is a fact. Maby that is why Nitto tire is doing so well these days. Makes you wonder now doesn't it. Like I said, I am open to good debates that are productive and help others. But I am not interested in your quest to belittle people.
Relax cowboy......

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by Spoolin Around:

Relax cowboy......
wow.....................

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
"Relax" This is starting to sound like the other board.

------------------
ED BAKER
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

·
Registered
812 Posts
OK, here come all his re-inforcements, just like a pack of wild dogs. I guess in Canada we enjoy our right of free speech without fear of being attacked for our opinions, sorry for trying to help someone out. FL

1 - 20 of 45 Posts