Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I wanna do my front brakes possibly tonight...but it seems nobody in my area can turn the rotors after 6pm. I'm tempted to just hit em with some sandpaper and get them turned or replaced when I do the front end work, but as a third option, if I were to get new rotors, are there any Autozone/PepBoys/Advance rotors to avoid? Looks like Autozone has em $25ea but that sounds awful cheap.

PS - Already picked up Akebono Ceramic Pads.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heh...just found an old post by Pauly where he said he likes the $25 ones. Off to Autozone I go :D

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't used em yet...and Pep boys is only a minute away, so let me know (especially if its something I can get at a store).

I know I paid too much as I've seen the same pads for $55-75 online ($80 @ schlep boys) but if I'm going to drive the car thursday (still not 100% decided) I need to get the brakes done and I really didn't want to use any more dust-monsters. They only had one set in stock so I grabbed while the gettin was good.

(PS I'm at work right now just trying to line everything up so I can get home and get this done)

·
Blue T Chrome trim
519 Posts
i know you cant get them today, but i saw cottons had some slotted and drilled rotors and some nice pads. Where are you getting the ceramic pads paulie? and how much?

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
"Schlep boys" can usually cut rotors but I don't rely on them too much. If your stuck at work your going to have to wait. I've used many cheapo rotors before on my 84 shame you not in Philly know a cheap place on Castor ave. The only problem I had with some rotors were that they were not machined that well and the dust caps sometimes would not fit back on after putting the berings back in.
Either to tight or too loose.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I asked at Schleps yesterday and the guy said they were booked thru the rest of the week. Also speaking from experience, I know they generally have "mechanics" (their word) during the day and more-or-less tire-changers (their words) in the evening. I'm going to check the brakes tonight...they did pass inspection but I was told they're about due, so I think they'll be fine for a couple days, that way when I get back I can do everything right and maybe throw on some new bearings while I'm at it.

Nick I could be wrong but I read that a lot of the slotted/drilled rotors tend to develop cracks over time, and considering how underrated the brakes are overall, they wont really help much.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rotors actually looked great albeit a bit glazed. Gave em a good scuff with some 60 grit and put my new overpriced pads on. I was gonna wait but when I checked em they were fairly low.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts