Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been told by my local auto repair shop that my brake master cylinder is leaking and they have never seen a unit like it before and i should have it looked at.
I know it looks different than what i've seen but should it be hard to find someone to fix or look at it?? What makes it different than my 85 monte carlos????

Thanks.

they said i also have a cracked header pipe on the right side near the turbo area is that
a major problem and expense??

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Originally posted by specialt:
I've just been told by my local auto repair shop that my brake master cylinder is leaking and they have never seen a unit like it before and i should have it looked at.
I know it looks different than what i've seen but should it be hard to find someone to fix or look at it?? What makes it different than my 85 monte carlos????

Thanks.

they said i also have a cracked header pipe on the right side near the turbo area is that
a major problem and expense??
The 86-7 TR has the (In)famous Powermaster system; it uses an electric motor to provide the power assist, rather than a vacuum canister like most GM products. See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/brakespage.html for some troubleshooting guides, etc. Parts are still available; Hank Terry offers a new Powermaster unit and rebuild kits are available for the master cylinder itself (see the Trader at www.gnttype.org).

Or, you can convert to vacuum brakes; it's cheap, effective, and there's a how-to article at the link above.

Cracked headers are almost the norm for these cars. The driver's side usually cracks more often, though. It's stainless, and should be repaired by someone who can TIG weld it. If you remove the header and take it in for repair, it shouldn't cost much. If you have someone else do the labor, it will probably take several hours of labor charges for the pass. side header since it means removing the turbo.

Good luck!

------------------

Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the info, i will check that out. I will try to remove the turbo and the header myself also......

Originally posted by Kendall Frederick:
The 86-7 TR has the (In)famous Powermaster system; it uses an electric motor to provide the power assist, rather than a vacuum canister like most GM products. See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/brakespage.html for some troubleshooting guides, etc. Parts are still available; Hank Terry offers a new Powermaster unit and rebuild kits are available for the master cylinder itself (see the Trader at www.gnttype.org).

Or, you can convert to vacuum brakes; it's cheap, effective, and there's a how-to article at the link above.

Cracked headers are almost the norm for these cars. The driver's side usually cracks more often, though. It's stainless, and should be repaired by someone who can TIG weld it. If you remove the header and take it in for repair, it shouldn't cost much. If you have someone else do the labor, it will probably take several hours of labor charges for the pass. side header since it means removing the turbo.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts