Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a boost/vacuum guage in my car.it was in there already when i bought the car.only boost is hooked up right now.exactly how do you hook up both?do you put a T in the line and run one side to boost and the other to vacuum

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
should not be but one hose to the gauge. Make sure the guage is seeing vacuum under normal conditions...pull the hose off where it connects under the hood and see if you feel vacuum on the port where it was attached.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Sounds like someone hooked up the boost gauge to a hose that has a check valve in it. You will need to relocate it to a source that has vacuum/boost with no check valves (they limit the flow of air, hence your single reading). If you aren't sure of where to install it, write back and I am sure I can find a picture. poon

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hey Steve W., you always come to the rescue! Good Show Buddy! Do you drive all those nice cars listed in your profile? Gene

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
mine is hooked up to 1 line.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hooked up guage the right way.and now it barely gets up to 10lbs of boost.before it would climb right up to 12 or more.it was hooked up to the compressor housing before.even though the factory boost guage reads like 15....the other reads much lower than before.i knew the factory guage was off,but by that much?!?!should i just ditch my t60 and get a smaller turbo to work better on the street?

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
the boost could be down. like i said any time you want to look at my car for a refrence let me know..

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
whistle87:
hooked up guage the right way.and now it barely gets up to 10lbs of boost.before it would climb right up to 12 or more.it was hooked up to the compressor housing before.even though the factory boost guage reads like 15....the other reads much lower than before.i knew the factory guage was off,but by that much?!?!should i just ditch my t60 and get a smaller turbo to work better on the street?
Okay....reason says that boost at the turbo will be higher than boost in the plenum. The intercooler and piping will often be sufficient restriction to cause 2-3# of boost drop. That is normal. Aftermarket ics may cause more like 1# drop.

Now that you are reading boost in the conventional manner, have you tried shortening the wastegate rod? It should have at least an 1/8" tension on it for normal operation.

If you are using the factory boost control arangement, have you verified the plumbing is correct on it with the restrictor in the "y" pointed toward the compressor port and the hole in the restrictor should be no larger than 0.050". Nothing blocking the bleed port on the wastegate solenoid, and so on?

No need to change the turbo unless it is worn out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts