Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can't seem to get more than 10 pounds even at full throttle. car is mostly stock with minor upgrades and a new stock type turbo. is this possibly a sensor issue or would it be in the turbo's system? i've only had this car for a little over a month, the motor had been rebuilt so i didn't notice this right away (was taking it easy on the thing at first). when a new charger stepped up i was not happy with the results, and neither gauge read over 10. this is my first turbo car, so i'm pretty green still. :dunno: :rant:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Welcome! First off, since your green do some reading here & searching old posts along with reading GNTTYPE.org from front to back! As for the boost problem you either mixed up the vac lines when doing the turbo or some lines/hoses/headers are leaking. Do a search as there are always current posts & also see Steve Woods site vortexbuicks. Have Fun! :cheers:

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Just a Six?? said:
Welcome! First off, since your green do some reading here & searching old posts along with reading GNTTYPE.org from front to back! As for the boost problem you either mixed up the vac lines when doing the turbo or some lines/hoses/headers are leaking. Do a search as there are always current posts & also see Steve Woods site vortexbuicks. Have Fun! :cheers:
Yep, either your hose coming off the compresser is switched, the Y connecter should have the piece that goes straight goes from compresser to solenoid and the other goes to the actuator....or you need to shorten the actuator rod and install a bleed valve.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Would just like to add, my very recent problem was the boost actuator which sits on the valve cover. If your hoses are correctly installed, check that thing.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Check the Y hoses too for cracking, splits, and holes. Any of those would cause a problem where boost will not be effective.

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i have 1 hose that goes from the front of the turbo to a "y" fitting right behind it. one end of this y has a smaller inside diameter than the other 2 ( almost like there is an orifice in it). is this part correct? now the next hose goes straight through the y to valve under the turbo. the branch side of the y goes to the electronic deal by the pass. valve cover. my plastic connector is cracked, but it should still be getting power. how do i test this thing to know if it works or not, and by the way, what does it do?

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any help here would really be appreciated, i don't feel that i have seen the full potential of this car until i solve this little dilemma. Thanks Guys!! :cool:

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
wh1-t said:
ok, i have 1 hose that goes from the front of the turbo to a "y" fitting right behind it. one end of this y has a smaller inside diameter than the other 2 ( almost like there is an orifice in it). is this part correct? now the next hose goes straight through the y to valve under the turbo. the branch side of the y goes to the electronic deal by the pass. valve cover. my plastic connector is cracked, but it should still be getting power. how do i test this thing to know if it works or not, and by the way, what does it do?
The straight thru goes from compresser to Wastegate solnoid (electronic deal on the valve cover) the branch goes to the actuator. What plastic connector has a crack? the Y? The solnoid purges pressure to increase boost. You'll notice that it has 2 connections, 1 has the hose from the Y and the other is unconnected.

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry, its the electrical connector on the wastegate solenoid that is broken (the whole deal is just kinda floating in the breeze, not mounted to anything, i don't know if it's supposed to have a mounting bracket or not, i assume so. there is also a piece that looks like it is broken off, from pics i have seen i think it is supposed to have some kind of filter on it?). is the y connector correct with the 1 small end (orifice) on it? could any of this lead to my problem of no more than 10 pounds of boost? what should a mostly stocker be able see off of 92 octane? Thanks again!

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
wh1-t said:
is the y connector correct with the 1 small end (orifice) on it? could any of this lead to my problem of no more than 10 pounds
Here is a quote from Steve that should help.
Steve Wood said:
One on gnttype, but, in essence...

The straight leg of the Y should have a restrictor in the end with about a .045" hole. This end of this leg should be connected to the turbo compressor housing port. The opposite end goes to the solenoid. Of course, the other leg of the Y goes to the actuator.

If reversed, it will only give about 12# of boost.

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all of my hoses are in order, i replaced them while i was at it. still not getting more than 10# boost. is there a way to test the solenoid so i know if its working or not? does it need to be grounded through the mounting bracket that it is supposed to have, like i said mine is just floating around, there is no bracket i guess because it looks to have aftermarket valve covers. i bought this car right after a rebuild, so i don't know what strange things may have happened. thanks for your time guys! :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
does not need to be grounded...

if the Y is oriented correctly, then pull the end that goes to the solenoid off and got wot briefly while watching the boost gauge...if the boost shoots up, get off the gas quickly before it goes too high...

if it does go up, then you seem to have a solenoid problem

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, you guys hit it right on the nose. with vacuum line off i got LOTS of boost, now what are my options in your opinion, is there an aftermarket performance option that would benefit me, or should i try to find a stock replacement of some sort? THANKS for the help!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts