Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant get more than 18 lbs boost no matter what I do?? I have not changed the WG Solenoids (dual set-up) This is the same setup as last year with 25lbs at the turn of a knob. Consists of the BSTC Electronic boost control using 2 stock solenoids so I should have a 14lb window of adjustment. I tightened the rod 4 turns & still getting 18 lbs At 1/8 tension the stock actuator again 18 lbs. Turn OFF BSTC 18lbs Turn ON BSTC go minimum 18lbs go max 18lbs. Its got the Vac T the correct way & the wire connections are good but I have yet to do the following:
Remove the T & look for Crud inside.
Hook up only 1 solenoid at a time. Change with my spare ones.
Hook it up Tuner style
Will do these things tonite or tomorrow.
What else??? Any Ideas???
Weird that it just sits at 18 on a Stock Actuator? Spools good! Runs good! :dunno:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Exhaust header leak?
Puck leaking due to wastegate rod setting?
A standard wastegate, even though adjustable, is generally only good to about 20-21 +/- 1 lb. of boost.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Did you try another actuator? If so look for a leak in the boost circuit (hoses, clamps, intercooler) Also check for missing fins on the turbo or binding center section.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found It!! Tricky bugger! I use dual solenoids so I use a Caspers splitter to make 1 into 2 Well the Female of the splitter had 1 of the pins pushed in some & so no contact therefore no solenoids! Fixed the pin & instant 25 lbs!
I kept wondering why it sat at 18lbs no matter what I did & it led me there!
Of course after checking everything else first! :yup:

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Just a Six?? said:
Found It!! Tricky bugger! I use dual solenoids so I use a Caspers splitter to make 1 into 2 Well the Female of the splitter had 1 of the pins pushed in some & so no contact therefore no solenoids! Fixed the pin & instant 25 lbs!
I kept wondering why it sat at 18lbs no matter what I did & it led me there!
Of course after checking everything else first! :yup:

Most likely Ray found it, not you :D :) LOL

·
Registered
734 Posts
What kind of adjustment range is the standard BSTC good for? What I mean is how much boost is it capable of adjusting from if you have a base boost setting of say 16-17psi?

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KWIKR 1 said:
Most likely Ray found it, not you :D :) LOL
That darn Big Head (120 lb) Bulldog sniffed it out! Then ATE IT!!
The BSTC has a range of about 7 lbs per wastegate solenoid so with the Caspers dual set up you get 14 lbs adjustment Plus you get "quick spool" based off the TPS & a secondary setting for 3rd gear setting & all off the Stock Solenoids. Its a Great Unit & I have tried ALL of them! Very Precise! I like it! Worth the $$$ IMO! :yup: :cheers:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul B said:
So, the BSTC also allows for faster spoolup?
Yes, its TPS activated so the more sensitive you make it the faster the spool starts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts