Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i just got my gn back from the shop and this is what they did. K&N air filter, new fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator,adjustable wastegate, and a jay carter 93 octane chip. Now when i get to 15 psi it is fine. But when i get 15+ psi i just hear this hssssssssssss and i loose all boost pressure it goes back down to zero. I put a reds 93 chip in and it did the same thing. Could someone tell me what this might be?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i checked all the hoses and they are as tight as can be. When i get to 15+psi it sounds like i have a blowoff valve but i don't. I put the reds chip in and it did the same thing. can anyone tell me what is going on?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Sounds like a hose to me also. Take some paper masking tape and wrap up the intercooler hoses and up pipe to throttle body hose. If they are leaking it will blow a hole in the paper tape. If that dont find the problem post again.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i checked all the hoses and they are as tight as they can be. I can't even move the clamps with my hands. And it is fine 5psi 10 psi and 15psi but if i go over 15 at all it sounds like i have a blowoff vavle and i loost all of my boost. A firend told me it was the new wastegate but what could it be doing to make it do that?

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
What kind of intercooler hoses are you running?
If it's the stock ones then the clamps can be as tight as can be but they are probably not on properly causing a boost leak.
Try what ULYCYC suggested to find out if there's a tear in one of the intercooler hoses.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am running the stock intercooler. I guess i will try the tape since i can't find the problem. Any other ideas if this doesn't work? ONly thing that doesnt make me thinkg it is the intercooler hoses is that it only does it when it gets past 15psi. OS i thought it would leak way b4 15 psi and it did it 4 times like that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Haha, he "loost all of his boost"

------------------
'87 T .030 overbore/ big cam/ heads port/ polish/ all 3in. pipes (exh and int)inc. MAF/ j&e/ 42.5lb inj. +7th inj./ TE44/ Precision Frontmount/ houston DP/ intercooler scoop/ 11.5in M/T's/ @ 24psi best ET ??.?? @ ???.??

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Did you find the problem??

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no i never found the problem any other ideas? I taped all the hoses and they weren't the problem.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
if you hear a hiss, it almost has to be a leak.

The car does not have a blow off valve on the pipe coming from the IC to the throttlebody, does it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only thing that makes me think it is not a leak is that. It will boost fine at 5, 10 and 15 psi consistantly. But you go any over 15 and i loose all my boost and hear a hsssss so i dunno?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
disconnect the wastegate actuator rod, then wire the wastegate arm closed so it cannot possible open. Punch it and if the boost still does not go over 15#, then you know the problem is in the turbo, the hoses (to the IC and from the IC to the throttlebody, OR, you have an exhaust leak, probably under the turbo....

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
BTW, have you pulled the inlet hose off the turbo and checked for play in the compressor wheel and/or signs that the fins are hitting the walls of the turbo?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got the problem fixed guys thanks. Took it back to the shop and they said it was the boost control solenoid (left valve cover) so we just bypassed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.