Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just got a TH DP installed and took it to the track today for some trial runs. My boost seems to stay around 15 psi in 1st and most of 2nd gear and increases to 18-19 in 3rd. I tried increasing my boost and my 3rd gear boost did increase while my 1st and 2nd stayed at 15psi. After talking with some fellow members I believe my problems lies with my TA-49 not being set up for TH DP. It was ordered for a stock elbow and DP.

So, if this is my problem, should I port out the stock exhaust housing or maybe look into a Precision.63 housing? What are the pros and cons of going with the Precision .63 housing over stock? I'm sure better top end but what about increased lag on the street.
Thanks for any help,

Chuck M.

------------------

The CAR Website

·
Dr. Theopolis
783 Posts
Sorry to hear that Chuck. Did your times improve at all with all you recent mods? Let me know if you need a elbow, i got two extra.
Scott

------------------
86 GN, Blue Tops, 2 3/4" ATR DP, ported elbow. walbro 307 (hot wired), K+N, test pipe, Thrasher 92oct chip,160 stat, Pro Torque 2800 stall in a working trans (YEEHAW)

G

·
Originally posted by Chuck:
Guys,

Just got a TH DP installed and took it to the track today for some trial runs. My boost seems to stay around 15 psi in 1st and most of 2nd gear and increases to 18-19 in 3rd. I tried increasing my boost and my 3rd gear boost did increase while my 1st and 2nd stayed at 15psi. After talking with some fellow members I believe my problems lies with my TA-49 not being set up for TH DP. It was ordered for a stock elbow and DP.

So, if this is my problem, should I port out the stock exhaust housing or maybe look into a Precision.63 housing? What are the pros and cons of going with the Precision .63 housing over stock? I'm sure better top end but what about increased lag on the street.
Thanks for any help,

Chuck M.

The bleed port on your turbine should be 1" in diameter, not the .93 OEM size.
This additional bleed capability is needed to more accurately control boost without creep.
The PT&E might be a wonderful upgrade, but would prefer to see your existing recipe before I comment further.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

G

·
Ron,

Thanks for the reply. Here is a list of my mods:

TA-49, Stretch IC, TH DP, MSD 50s, 62mm TB, and usual 12 second recipe stuff.

Can we assume stock cam and torque converter ?

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
1-800-718-7667
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Hey Chuck.. why don't you axe your Bstc and see if your boost probem goes away? Just run it tuner style at the track, and that may shed some light on your problem.

I know there are plenty of guys going real fast with TA-49's w/ the garrett exhaust housing... I say stick with that until it's maxed out.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Don't sell your combo short as far as being a 12 second combo, you got the goods there to go at least 11.7's or better. I say that based on my own personal experience with my GN years ago that went 11.72 with a stock motor with at that time 350 runs on it plus 65,000 other miles, a ta49, blue tops, stock cam, bigger neck stock IC, and a red stripe conv (glorifed stocker basically).

The key IMO altho some disagree is with a conv that is stock or a red stripe in my case is you have to get it out of the hole fast and shock the rear tires and the only way to do that is a higher boost launch. Is it good for the drive train.....no but neither is drag racing in general but as in my case above I got wellover 350 runs with high boost launches with my combo at that time and I didn't have a problem. Of course if your plans are to run a 9" conv at some point then you could leave with less boost but for what you have I know you got solid 11's in that combo it's just a matter of getting her out with a good 60' time and traction.Best of luck with your combo and keep us posted.

Regards,
Rich from Rich's Auto in New Jersey
[email protected]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Chuck, Sorry to hear that new combo is taking a while to iron out. If it were me I'd separate the problem into two separate problems. 1) turbo lag and 2) boost creep. I'd port out the TA49s wastegate puck to 1" and then tune the third gear boost till it stops creeping. I'd take the boost controller out of the circuit while you do this. Once you get the creep solved I'd then work on the lag problem. What kind of O2s are you running with those MSDs in first and 2nd gear? Could be running rich causing some lag. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

------------------
Ray K.
'87 WE4

G

·
Ron,

Yes, the motor, tranny, and converter is all stock.

Chuck

Chuck,

With your combo, you "might" loose a bit of bottom end. But the rewards of the enhanced mid an top end should more than offset it.
The positive end result is less initial drivetrain shock as the additional power is being generated after the car has started rolling.
Tire frying launches only serves to hasten drivetrain wear or damage..

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
1-800-718-7667
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts