Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience to share on accuracy of aftermarket gauages? I read about one car with 18 pounds boost, and another with 19 or 20. If the aftermarket gauges are +- 1 psig, both cars could be looking at the same boost. I know the little indicator bar is way off, just curious about the VDO, AutoMeter, etc.
George W
Raleigh, NC

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Crank up the boost as high as you can with NO knock. Read your boost gauge. No matter what it says 15,16,17,18 or 22 Thats your limit

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The ones I tested seemed to vary more on the vacuum side than the pressure side but I would not be surprised to find a +/-1 variation at all.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, I've found that of my 0-30 VDO boost gauges in my three cars, one of them reads one PSI higher than the other two when checking with my Mityvac. The other two calibrate perfectly with it. NOW... whether or not my Mityvac is correct is another issue altogether!

------------------
Jay Jackson
(the 62MM TB guy!)
http://hometown.aol.com/ygettv8/myhomepageindex.html

"YGETV8" '86 gray T-Type 94K... high tens...?? (Finally together and running for the first time in 5 years... but more work needed!) Girdled stock block, Stealth turbo, 62-65mm TB, PI 9.5" 7-disc, Jimmy's Trans, P&P heads, 218/218, Hooker Headers, 3" D.P., HKS w.g., thumbwheel chip, and more... (previously ran [email protected] with the stock long block, DOTs, thru the muff, & on pump gas!)

'86 GN "Beater"... 144K driver w/ P&P stock turbo, 21.5 psi boost, K&N, 3" DP and ported elbow, Z93 chip, 30# inj., Walbro 307, AFPR, new valve springs, alum. drums, 2.5" IC neck, 62mm TB/upper, and that's about it! Best ET: 12.61 (on 215/65 all season radials!); best MPH: 111.97! Now: pump gas, alky and GNX wheels w/ Radial TAs = 12.60 @ 110.87!

'87 WE4 60K ... "stock appearing": TA61, MJ 17 row IC, Blue tops, Alky and 93 octane, 62mm TB, P&P stock elbow w/ 3" DP, and even the "stock" airbox! [email protected] w/ a lousy 1.967 60' full weight and through the muffs!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I use an expensive air pressure calibrated gauge about 5" in diameter to check my gauges and the DPS (digital pressure switch) that I bought to run my dash display.

I calibrate with a regulator and can read .25psi.

Actually all you need to do is what Ed says.

I built the display to run continuous like the stocker or it can record peak max. boost, or it can stop recording when the alky. comes on to monitor that trigger point.

I am also making a KR trigger for it via the maxeffort chip output so say 3KR will trigger at a certain psi. that I can record.

All without looking at a boost gauge just the road.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I used my 8" gauge....

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
And of course lied about the size...

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yeah...didn't want to give you a complex

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i have the automeeter phantoms and i love them. they are pretty much dead on from the other guage i used.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
But your other guages were off 7.38%.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
No complex here I already know mine's bigger...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts