Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed mine. I see in the back of the box that there is a Set 2 trigger and another trigger that is adjustable. I think the TRIGGER setting is for 3rd gear for limiting the boost. I haven't touched the two triggers yet. if you turn the TRIGGER clockwise, should that increase the 3rd gear boost and lower it when you turn it counterclockwise? What about the SET2 trigger? is that for setting the bstc to come active at a certain TPS?

------------------
87 GN Hardtop~ stock motor, stock intercooler, TE 51 w/.63 exhaust housing,big mouth cold air induction, hotwired walboro 340, MSD 50's, cold air induction, stock TB and plenum, THDP, 3" ATR dual exhaust, 10 mm Magnecor wries, B&M tranny cooler, performance transmissions deep aluminum pan, Dynotech shift kit, VDO gauges, Autometer boost gauge, SMC alchy injection, PTE remote oil system, ATR 3" maf pipe, scanmaster 2

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
SET 2 is 3rd gear scaling.

Trigger is TPS setpoint.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i turn the set 2 clockwise it should increase 3rd boost? And clockwise for the Trigger increases tps setpoint? Just wanna make sure i'm turning the screw the right way.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so if i turn the set 2 clockwise it should increase 3rd boost? And clockwise for the Trigger increases tps setpoint? Just wanna make sure i'm turning the screw the right way.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
From the Preliminary Manual.

SET2- Clockwise adj. increases boost.

TRIG.- Clockwise adj. increases sensitivity.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
k I tested the bstc. I got on it as soon as the car went to third gear and hit 15 lbs. no knock no alchy spray either which is good. So basically, the dial adjusts boost for 1st and 2nd gear only and the SET2 screw is adjusted for 3rd gear boost correct? So no matter where I have the dial set the boosti in 3rd gear will always be limited depending on where the SET2 screw is set at?

------------------
87 GN Hardtop~ stock motor, stock intercooler, TE 51 w/.63 exhaust housing,big mouth cold air induction, hotwired walboro 340, MSD 50's, cold air induction, stock TB and plenum, THDP, 3" ATR dual exhaust, 10 mm Magnecor wries, B&M tranny cooler, performance transmissions deep aluminum pan, Dynotech shift kit, VDO gauges, Autometer boost gauge, SMC alchy injection, PTE remote oil system, ATR 3" maf pipe, scanmaster 2

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If all your setup switches are up like you told me then 3rd gear boost is scaled back from primary boost up to 50%.

Sooooo, you should notice increases and decreases with the front control in 3rd and 4th gears as well. Not sure if it is linear however.

Test it out, safely of course.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool. i'll go test it out and post back

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
k went out for a test. 1st and 2nd gear i got 15 lbs. this is with the dial just under the third dot on the bstc. 3rd gear scaled down to 15 lbs. i want to get 17 lbs. now in 1st and 2nd. should i just shorten the rod to get a minimum of 17lbs. or adjust with the dial?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Well you should be able to turn it up & the boost go up" But I have yet to see mine do anything but buzz my solinoid & turn the light on the unit" Never saw any change in boost anywhere I set it? Big waste of $$ if you ask me! Ole $1 fishtank valve worked better.

------------------
To hell with 12's Im going for the 11's!

Keith Davis**86GN, Astroroof, DigDash' TTA crank, Ported polished heads & matched intake'Jay's 62mm TB/upper, TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo, Manly SS valves, CC 206-206 cam' Postons headers, Orange stripe conv. THDP,2 1/2 exhaust' Hooker comp. mufflers' SMC alky,Boost command, Scanmaster2, MSD50 inj, SS MAF & translator' Nitto DR's 275/50/15, All the braces, All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
guess the bstc works for others and sometimes it doesn't work for others.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If your hose plumbing is stock, actuator isn't too tight or loose ie. near stock, and your wastegate works and buzzes with the unit, it has to work as advertised.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Originally posted by salvageV6:
If your hose plumbing is stock, actuator isn't too tight or loose ie. near stock, and your wastegate works and buzzes with the unit, it has to work as advertised.

Mine just has a buzz!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mine has a buzz too. and the buzz gets louder as i turn up the dial.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Originally posted by VIN7:
Fast86, is the factory y still in place in your wastegate plumbing?

Mike
Yep. A brand new one w/hoses from GM.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Fast86,

That is weird...the only thing I can think of is that the vent port on the solenoid is plugged. The buzzing noise is the solenoid opening and closing, so at least that part is working, but if the pressure can't be vented the the boost is not going to change. Maybe try another solenoid to be sure.

Mike

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Solinoid is new to. New turbo & HD WG actuator also. I did notice that with eng off key on at WOT the buzz quits. I dont know if thats normal or not?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Hmmmm...mine, key on engine off, at WOT its still buzzing. No buzz, no bleeding. I would check all the connections, I had one of those scotchlok things make a bad connection and defaulted my tps to 2.5 volts.

Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts