Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Car SD Chip parameter went wacky on the 3/4 timing, lost a head gasket I think. Anyway out of stock around here, just wanted to ask, I want the Felpro 9441 correct? Thanks

Chuck

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Rock Auto $122.02 shipped Head Gasket Kit and Intake Gasket. What do you guys think?

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul, kinda leaning to the Felpro 9441 gaskets (over time money dried up, these where the gaskets that are in there now) looks like I will have to order them. I'm pulling the SD chip, going back to TT old school, so have to hook the MAF back up. Wish I could go FAST and be done with it....

Chuck

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting...
Thanks for the link.

Chuck

·
Registered
852 Posts
Interesting...
Thanks for the link.

Chuck
Your welcome buddy. I am running the SBC V8 version of the EBL-P4, but the GN guys get a sequential version called SFI-6 that actually runs 1,2 & 3 Bar MAP sensors at the same time, they switch off depending where your VE is, although the EBL-P4 will eventually get that feature as well as opposed to running either one, two or three separately. Hooks to the stock harness, you just have to pluf the communication cable in which is a breeze... :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
for that much and the limitations you could just go fast classic , was one recently on TB.com went for under 700 with the jumper harness, wideband and com cable

plug and play speed density with very user friendly interface
Where are the limitations? The SFI-6 controls your TCC, all emission controls, both fans, uses the stock harness, and has expanded tables. It's a pretty good deal that drops right in... :)

·
Irradiate This!
734 Posts
Hey Guys,

Car SD Chip parameter went wacky on the 3/4 timing, lost a head gasket I think. Anyway out of stock around here, just wanted to ask, I want the Felpro 9441 correct? Thanks

Chuck
What happened with the 3/4 timing? I had a problem last year at the track rental with the WB TT chip..... there's a nice vid of me popping with it being too rich. So I put the old classic TT chip back in. Ran great and then a couple runs later I had one of the fuel pumps go out and now had no correction. Luckily no damage but now I'm on XFI. It was a long time coming but I couldn't risk not having any correction in the future.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What happened with the 3/4 timing? I had a problem last year at the track rental with the WB TT chip..... there's a nice vid of me popping with it being too rich. So I put the old classic TT chip back in. Ran great and then a couple runs later I had one of the fuel pumps go out and now had no correction. Luckily no damage but now I'm on XFI. It was a long time coming but I couldn't risk not having any correction in the future.
I had problems for a while with different parameter values going wacky for some reason. So just before the NC trip I swapped out my ECM and everything was fine, talked to a few people down at Richard Clark's about my ECM/SD problems and thought that it could possibly the alternator throwing out ac current randomly, instead of solid dc current, which I'm told is a no no for the electronic's. Swapped out the alternator with a spare when I got back to York and for a few months no problems. Went to get on the exspressway with my favorite lady beside me and when it hit 3rd gear, oh about 3 seconds maybe, caboom.... smoke filled the interior and the highway behind me. Look at Tammy and said "this isn't good", her eyes where as big as saucers, only her 2nd ride in the GN.... So I looked down at the gauges, engine is still running, have good oil pressure, coolant temp looks good, limp about 2 miles to the next exit and shut it off in the nearest parking lot. Look under the hood , the oil fill filter is gone(hence the smoke in the cabin from oil blowing on the header). Look at passengers side, notice oil on the turbo guard, get some old socks now used as rags out of the trunk, plug the DS oil fill tube, once the engine cooled down peeked in at the anti-freeze looked full and normal color. Already had pulled the dip stick twice and saw no evidence of chocolate milk shake. By this time Brother Joe came and he followed me about 4 miles to the house, smoke coming from PS on the way home he said.
But this TT SD chip has to go, I love the chip but my car just won't keep the parameter values rock solid, and that's why I now have to spend the weekend, at least all day tomorrow wrenching... may put the TE-44 back on so all the hoses fit up to the turbo/MAF/ etc. Oh almost forgot, while it was cooling down, I checked every parameter in the chip and only one was wacked, the 3/4 gear timing was actually 150 and the max value on the sheet is 149 which is plus 10* timing.

Chuck

·
Registered
829 Posts
My car ran similar to Murph's w/ the TT SD chip too...switched back to normal TT chip and problem went away, seems to be fairly common! On XFI now, good luck.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
#3 blew into the intake valley, #4 almost blew threw to the passenger side front fender. Pistons look good, the stock exhaust though is shot, found 2 more areas that need repaired, you can see the metal is paper thin, not dropping $1k on t/a performance pipes, although if the OT money was still rolling in, I would be tempted.
Yea, I'm pulling the SD chip out, putting the old school alky chip in, still have the same injectors that it was burned for, #60.
That took me all day to get it tore down, but I stuck with it, will go as far as I can tomorrow, the pipes that need repaired will keep me from getting it together. I need to get some thread sealant for the arp head studs there had been a big deal about what type to use in the past, is that still a big deal?

Chuck

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
passenger side header is cracked at the top of the expansion joint between #2 & #4 and another hole in the crossover pipe, that is the thin one. got to get to advanced auto to get my parts before 9...

Paul, thanks for the sealer information, I appreciate it !!

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how about the sd2 chip? :)
Gee, I don't know, money is trying up, going back to a TT Alky chip, I don't know why I have trouble with the values staying put in the SD chip now. Weeks with no problems and then out of the blue, replacing head gaskets, so at this point I hate the Buick, it's always that way, love, hate, love, HATE !!

Chuck

·
Registered
660 Posts
Gee, I don't know, money is trying up, going back to a TT Alky chip, I don't know why I have trouble with the values staying put in the SD chip now. Weeks with no problems and then out of the blue, replacing head gaskets, so at this point I hate the Buick, it's always that way, love, hate, love, HATE !!

Chuck
did u post on erics forum to get his input on it?

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
If he has PL - thats a good possibility!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I spoke with bob bailey on this subject and he is going to get in touch with Eric to get more information on how this could be possible.

From what I gather so far this really shouldnt be possible unless the ECM is experiencing some really strange errors.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
If the PL board gets cattywompus on the edge connector, it can short the data/address lines on the ECM. Think of a 10 lane highway all dumping into a parking lot. That can cause ram corruption.

The chip (turbotweak) doesn't "store" anything. All the variables are in the memory of the ECM, and if the ECM's signals get crossed (from a loose PL board), that RAM can be corrupted.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update...

Eric at TT has reached out to me, (personal email account) somehow he heard about my misfortune, heck of a nice guy. I actually got to meet him down at Richard Clark's a few months ago, we have known each other for years, but 1st time to I got to hang out with him for a extended period of time. Anyway he feels horrible that the setting jumped on the SD chip. The TT SD chip gets it's settings from the power logger when the key is turned on to start the car, so if the settings are bad, it's a good chance that the power logger's the problem. I am 100% certain that the P/L board is not loose in the ECM, I got that board Velcro in there with multiply strips of velcro, it can't come loose. Anyway, I have a spare power logger, that I got off of one of the member's here back around Kirban's open house. So I'm going to give the SD chip another go, but stepping up to the SD2 chip, that's just been released.
On a separate subject, heads are back on and torqued to 65 foot lbs. I'm running arp studs with the arp lube on champion iron heads, seams to me that I torqued them down to 72 lbs last time. So I'll let it sit probably until Sunday because of other plans, but then I'm thinking, put the last round of torque on the head bolts (72lbs.) and go from there, sound good guys?

Chuck

·
'86 GN
1,435 Posts
Sounds real good Chuck. Are you in a AC'd shop?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts