Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Valve Monkey
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. I just finished a head gasket job on Monday. Swapped from a TE61 to a TE44 in the process. Followed all the usual advice and info from the sites. There seems to be a wide variety of opinions on what torque to use on ARP bolts but I went to 75 lbs (incrementally, of course)and I used FelPro 1000 gaskets. Drove to work and back Monday night then on the way in on Tuesday afternoon the temp kept rising and rising until I finally pulled over (@230 degrees!). Left it running and looked under the hood only to be greeted with the site of water gushing from the 3 bolt turbo/manifold flange! Here we go again! I did step on it right after I put it together (damned Rustang GT challenged me on the test run! I have no self-control!) It went to 18psi boost and maybe it leaned out?? I have no knock gauge but it ran fine the rest of the day after that. Any advice? This is sucking the fun out of my new TR ownership! I've only had the car for two months and it's been broken for 6 of those weeks! My old stock 170k mile '86 GN never gave me problems but this 67k miler is becoming a PITA!

------------------
Richard Gautier
'87 GN, TE44 (was TE61), blue tops,IC and a half,Champion iron heads, Roller rockers,ported intake and plenum,70mm TB, Houston DP, no times yet!

·
Sponsorship Needed
780 Posts

·
Valve Monkey
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I plan to go back to a stock head gasket and the factory TTY head bolts this time. The car had the 1000's in it when I bought it and some swear by them, others (like me) swear AT them! I've read (after the fact) that the stock heads don't have enough bolts to crush the fire ring in the 1000's properly. This is getting very old, very fast!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts