Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In cabin boost control.. what a concept.

I figured I would get with the times and get one of these widgets. After exhausting the tuner style method, I needed something that would allow for easier boost control. I haven't been to the track with the new valve, but my minimum boost is now 15psi and I have a max boost of over 20psi. This is with the HD actuator and with the rod as loose as it will go..

Also, midrange torque and spool up are definitly improved. (only when the bleeder is open a bit).

Next step will be to install a pressure relief valve between the turbo and restrictor. Set that at 15psi and forget it. The turbo should spool as fast as mechanically possible..

Anyone seen these articles?? Check them out.. good stuff..

Audi DIY Boost Control Part1
Audi DIY Boost Control Part2

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

[This message has been edited by Orlando_87GN (edited January 24, 2001).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
hmmmm, interesting articles.

I have some regulator valves at home but never put them in the cockpit.
I do however use 2 very tiny brass bleeders that are 5 turn type. One stays open all the way the other about half and that increases boost for me from 19-22.
They are small and flow small amounts so theres not worry of overboosting. I wonder if I moved them into the car if they would then become too small of valve flow wise due to the long amount of hose line.

------------------
Joe Tripodi 87 Limited-T 12.29 on street [email protected] 1.73 60' Stock motor, stock tranny, stock turbo, stock injectors, modified neck stock intercooler, 62mm TB, ATR 7th injector, Dual Deadhead Alcohol injection, 3" DP with dump, southside lift bars, 2800 stall convertor, Hot wired Walbro 307. MaxEffort 8 position custom thumbwheel with: fuel out, MAF lock, knock nozzle enable, and variable timing 18,20,22,24,26,28,34 degrees.
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
Tel.716-422-9678 8:30am-4:30pm EST
Methanol/Alcohol Regulated & DeadHead Injection System Kits and Parts.
http://www.servtech.com/~racerx

·
Sponsorship Needed
780 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have a bleeder valve in my car. Works great but after 21 lbs of boost and this is with a stock turbo it goes crazy. Will start to over boost and unpredictable. This has just been my experience.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of it depends on the length and strength of the spring inside of the bleeder valve.

Most bleeder valves are made for air compressors. Especially the ones with the billet bottoms.

Ususally the spring that comes in them are good for 0 - 300psi.

This will not work well with your car, because somewhere along the line, 1 turn of the knob, will equal full boost. IE.. the spring is too heavy.

Don't know if this is the case for you, but thought I would share.

You can take your valve apart and check the spring inside. It should be a very, very light spring. Kinda like the springs that are in a inkpen, but larger.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mike, you wouldn't happen to have an extra 10# spring for the norgren regulator do ya? :)
I found my regulator buried in a box in my closet.
I think i will try the solenoid trick as i do have alot of those, but what is that diverter solenoid in the picture on Gus's website? I need a solenoid that diverts from one to another not just on/off.
I want to do the street/strip boost thingy with a flip of the switch. off is street boost 21psi and on is 23psi race boost.

I actually re-thought it out after i posted this and figured:
If I am using the maxeffort chip i wont need a diverter, just run the wastegate hose to a T. one side of the T to the two bleeders I use now. At the other part of the T I add a solenoid which has an extra bleeder on the outlet.

switch off runs my 2 bleeders at 21psi...
switch on opens solenoid with 1 additional bleeder set for 23psi. :)

------------------
Joe Tripodi 87 Limited-T 12.29 on street [email protected] 1.73 60' Stock motor, stock tranny, stock turbo, stock injectors, modified neck stock intercooler, 62mm TB, ATR 7th injector, Dual Deadhead Alcohol injection, 3" DP with dump, southside lift bars, 2800 stall convertor, Hot wired Walbro 307. MaxEffort 8 position custom thumbwheel with: fuel out, MAF lock, knock nozzle enable, and variable timing 18,20,22,24,26,28,34 degrees.

[This message has been edited by XracerX (edited January 31, 2001).]

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ace is the place...

Just take your existing spring out of your reg, and go down to your local hardware store. Match up the length and find a real light one. That's all I did, and it's works great.

16psi with the reg closed, 22-23psi open.. great mid range. I am using the HD actuator.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver

·
Registered
39 Posts
22-23psi fully open?

------------------

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, 22-23psi all the way open.

------------------

·
Registered
39 Posts
The regulator I found has 1/4" in/out not 1/8". I think it will work though. Same part number as mentioned above except for openings and has provisions for a guage.
I still like the idea of being able to flip a switch for hi low boost. I have a spare opening in my switch panel erkin for something else that can be switched on/off. :)

What size hose did you run into the car? or any other info pertaining to the install?

------------------

G

·
Mike,

Did you use a norgren valve same as the ones in the article?

This is a very intersting idea. I would like to be able to control boost without burning my fingers, and be able to control spoolup as well (that would keep the wife from spinning the tires all the time.)

------------------
Clayton
87 GN: 307FP hotwired, adj FPR, Tomka Cold air kit, Stock turbo, injectors and IC,MM 3"DP, Red's 93 street and Lubrant 110 race chips
Turbolink with boost sensing, Nitto DR's on stock rims
Best time: 12.51 @ 109.18 mph, 1.83 60' @ 20lbs boost

G

·
So, Mike ?? Yes/No ??

Did you use a Norgren valve same as what the article recommends? Have you installed a pressure relief valve yet?

------------------
Clayton
87 GN: 307FP hotwired, adj FPR, Tomka Cold air kit, Stock turbo, injectors and IC,MM 3"DP, Red's 93 street and Lubrant 110 race chips

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny you ask.. I just got on the hot trail of where to find the Norgren valves. There aren't cheap. I am currently using a run of the mill bleeder valve. I am not using a Pressure Relief valve yet, as I am trying to find one of those as well. The "grainger" valves don't seem to work very well, because they leak bad. They were not designed to be used as an inline check valve.. put people put the barb fittings on each end and try anyway...

I think the Norgren valves are the way to go..

------------------

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Strange..how do I check for leakage on the grainger style valve...?

I have two of them on my cars...I set the wastegate to minimum tension and set the boost with the "grainger" valve. I used an air compressor and regulator to initially set them and then had to adjust slightly from there but the boost is very solid and quick.

I have been searching for the Italian valves mentioned in the links but have not found the right one.

With regard to Norgren, their website lists a million versions but I have not figured out how to order online ones that vary from the base model....

I have a Norgren from my Turbonetics kit that has a max output pressure of 25 psi...

Looks like it should be better than the "grainger valve" if for no other reason, one does not have to remove the hose to adjust it.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, TE45/ported heads/CAS front mount/MSD50's/TH dp/210 PTE Roller Cam/9-1 c.r./65mmTB-Hemco plenum/2 3/4" exhaust/Eibach springs/GNX style wheels/MAXEFFORT 16 pos chip with gas out feature/venturiless maf

87 T-type-Stock short block/ported heads/red stripes/TE44/2.5" Hooker exhaust/MAXEFFORT 16 position chip with gas out

81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
I found a company called Ingersoll-Rand that has locations worldwide that carries these types of pressure regulators.

After reading their catalog I noticed a competitive cross reference to other Companies including Norgren.It lists the exact part# of the Norgren regulator that was used in the article and gives the cross-referenced part# for the Ingersoll brand. I am going to order one and test it out.

I will post my results, and if it works and anyone wants info about this company's products I will be glad to post it.

------------------
Clayton

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can use use these valves with a stock-adjustable wastegate?

How do you attach one of these things to a stock turbo?

Will the setup they used on that Audi theoretically work with our TR setups?

I researched the following info:

Metal Work Pneumatics: Bob Lucas ([email protected]) 610.395.8335 - Sales
#MR BIT SR 1/4" Micro Regulator (with mounting bracket & gauge port plug)

IMI Norgren Pty Ltd., 724-776-5577
#V07-200-NNKA Inline 07 1/4"releif valve 7-bar + bracket $18.10 list
2 x 2069-02 07 spring 0.7 Bar (Brown)

York #23151-06 3/8"check valve, "cracks"as low as 1psi

So, with all this neat precision air stuff, how or can we use it in our cars with better than stock results?

thanx,
------------------
Dan G.
87 Turbo Regal

[This message has been edited by darkfa8 (edited February 11, 2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts