Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
dismember
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasurable experience last week of dumping a full tank of bad gas into my GN. I knew something was up when my 02s were real low and I got a KR of 5.2 at only 10 pounds of boost whereas I usually have none at 17 pounds at WOT. Looks like somebody filled the underground tank at the SHELL STATION @ I-95 AND LPGA BLVD JUST OUTSIDE OF DAYTONA BEACH FL with 87 octane. I kept my foot out of it and drove the car until I ran as much of the gas out as I could then put 15 gallons of 93 in and my 02s and KR have all but gone away. At this point, if my math is correct, I should have about 92 octane in the tank right now (15 gal. of 93 and 3 gal. of 87).

The moral of the story for newbies like myself: After filling up at a gas station, ease into the throttle and watch your 02s and KR to make sure you didn't get duped at the gas station.

I can just picture the a-hole who either doesn't give a $%#& or doesn't think octane matters to anybody. :fight:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I understand half of the problem. But a change in octane should not affect the O2 readings. There may have been too much ethanol in the gas, or maybe something that caused the engine to miss? Don't doubt that there was bad gas, just wondering if it wasn't something else besides octane.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
87geeinn said:
I had the pleasurable experience last week of dumping a full tank of bad gas into my GN. I knew something was up when my 02s were real low and I got a KR of 5.2 at only 10 pounds of boost whereas I usually have none at 17 pounds at WOT. Looks like somebody filled the underground tank at the SHELL STATION @ I-95 AND LPGA BLVD JUST OUTSIDE OF DAYTONA BEACH FL with 87 octane. I kept my foot out of it and drove the car until I ran as much of the gas out as I could then put 15 gallons of 93 in and my 02s and KR have all but gone away. At this point, if my math is correct, I should have about 92 octane in the tank right now (15 gal. of 93 and 3 gal. of 87).

The moral of the story for newbies like myself: After filling up at a gas station, ease into the throttle and watch your 02s and KR to make sure you didn't get duped at the gas station.

I can just picture the a-hole who either doesn't give a $%#& or doesn't think octane matters to anybody. :fight:

In the 2x it's happened to me, it's not so much about octane, as it just leans the motor down, A LOT.
5d of knock should be covered by the Knock Sensor routine, so while you're down on power, no damage is being done, knock wise.
The leaness is a problem, for drivibility, and making the motor run hot.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Ormand said:
I understand half of the problem. But a change in octane should not affect the O2 readings. There may have been too much ethanol in the gas, or maybe something that caused the engine to miss? Don't doubt that there was bad gas, just wondering if it wasn't something else besides octane.
2x I've gotten *bad gas*, it wasn't so much the octane, as the motor was just really lean. In one case, almost undrivible. Both times, I revisited the station to complain, and both times the oweners said they hadn't had any other complaints....
I think it's a brew problem, someone screwing up on the additive package.

·
dismember
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...interesting. Just so I could reassure myself that I hadn't lost my mind, I got into it a time or two around 10 psi and the 02 mV would jump down to around 720 and start falling off rapidly into the 600s while maintaining ~10psi. :eek!:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
both times the oweners said they hadn't had any other complaints....
Think maybe they were in "cover my butt" mode, in case anyone had any damage due to the bad gas? Or in case anyone got the feds turned on, to some gas which probably could screw up emissions controls?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Ormand said:
Think maybe they were in "cover my butt" mode, in case anyone had any damage due to the bad gas? Or in case anyone got the feds turned on, to some gas which probably could screw up emissions controls?
I don't doubt that at all.
Shell back a few years ago, paid out a few long ones, when they goofed on *brew of additives*. One of the locals was down in LA (or some other southern state), and got a new set of injectors, and converter for his headaches, thou he had to pay for the repairs and then wait for Shell to reimbuse him. Shell lost him as a customer over that deal.

Going back to the 80s, when they first started with that *platformate* (sp?), they lost me as one. I got sick and tired of fixing cars with the *pink* electrodes. Fought with GM, over changing plugs under the emissions warranty about that for a year, before they gave in.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Could part of the problem have been water in the gas?

Quite a few stations here in that area got flooded with the recent downpours we have had here. Water was draining into the tanks through the filler covers in the parking lots.

File a complaint here: http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/

If enough people have had a problem with that particular station than you should be able to file a claim for a refund of some sorts. There were a couple of stations that the state shut down until they remedied the problem.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got some bad sunoco 94 a couple weeks ago. Its never happened until that last time i filled up. I thought I was losing my mind, I guess its just not me whew !!!

I did a run with some nice KR though before I noticed. :crazy:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Doc1of7 said:
Going back to the 80s, when they first started with that *platformate* (sp?), they lost me as one.
What are the odds of a Turbobuick owner at his job right now, that happens to be at Shell Refinery, in the unit that make Platformate, that he only runs Shell in his car with no pink electrodes :headbang: LOL And you did spell Platformate correctly :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts