Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm wondering If im running a 93 chip is Petro Canada my only option to fill up? Is the gas quality good at Petro Can? People like to say how much better Shell is but they dont have 93-94.

·
Darth your car is ready!
326 Posts
I use Shell only in my car. Yes it is only 91, but it contains no ethanol. Which I prefer.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, Thanks for the reply, Another off topic question would be where do I get the zinc addative for the Cam? I know with a oil change you should put in a bottel.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hmm, Thanks for the reply, Another off topic question would be where do I get the zinc addative for the Cam? I know with a oil change you should put in a bottel.
Ever since I bought my LTD I've added 1 bottle to every oil change I've done and used 10/30 oil. Pushing 170,000 km's and running strong with new comp 980's.
I'll usually purchase a dozen off e-bay when I need it and see a half decent deal.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys:6:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Is there another place that markets high test fuel with no ethanol in it? As I understand it, Ultramar's high octane fuel has no ethanol in it. I'm asking because I have a couple of small engines, and the manufacturers recommend a fuel mix with no ethanol.

·
Where are my hands?
436 Posts
Is there another place that markets high test fuel with no ethanol in it? As I understand it, Ultramar's high octane fuel has no ethanol in it. I'm asking because I have a couple of small engines, and the manufacturers recommend a fuel mix with no ethanol.
Costco 91 is ethanol free, and cheaper, as they get their gas from shell.

·
Where are my hands?
436 Posts
You can also use EOS from the GM Dealer.... sometimes if you ask they will give a discount. Full price is $9 and Boyer in Pickering always has it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can also use EOS from the GM Dealer.... sometimes if you ask they will give a discount. Full price is $9 and Boyer in Pickering always has it.
I have heard reviews that say this bottel that GM sells is half as good as the ZDD plus? Any thoughts?

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
If you are going to run 91 octane with a 93/4 octane chip you are going to need a supplementary octane booster (like an alky kit); or tune the car for 91 octane (ie. less boost and timing (assuming your chip is tuneable)). I've traditionally used Shell whenever possible and have had (unconfirmed) issues with Ultramar.

As for ZDDP - it is snake oil and it contains too much zinc for the needs of a normal flat tappet camshaft (and enough added zinc to damage a cat converter if you are so equipped), don't believe the hype. My recommendation is that you either run the Engine Oil Suppliment from GM in your normal oil of choice, try Valvoline VR-1 20w50 "Racing Oil which has the right amount of zinc (I've used this for many years without issue; albeit a very heavy oil), or do what I am doing this year - using Castrol Edge 5w-50 synthetic which is designed for older engines with zinc requirements (available at Crappy Tire).

·
Where are my hands?
436 Posts
If you are going to run 91 octane with a 93/4 octane chip you are going to need a supplementary octane booster (like an alky kit); or tune the car for 91 octane (ie. less boost and timing (assuming your chip is tuneable)). I've traditionally used Shell whenever possible and have had (unconfirmed) issues with Ultramar.

As for ZDDP - it is snake oil and it contains too much zinc for the needs of a normal flat tappet camshaft (and enough added zinc to damage a cat converter if you are so equipped), don't believe the hype. My recommendation is that you either run the Engine Oil Suppliment from GM in your normal oil of choice, try Valvoline VR-1 20w50 "Racing Oil which has the right amount of zinc (I've used this for many years without issue; albeit a very heavy oil), or do what I am doing this year - using Castrol Edge 5w-50 synthetic which is designed for older engines with zinc requirements (available at Crappy Tire).
What he said.... only I use 10w30.

·
TO HOLD ON HIGH
784 Posts
If I've traditionally used Shell whenever possible and have had (unconfirmed) issues with Ultramar.
Are you SURE your plug issues stem from the gas ? I used it exclusively for years and none of my plugs ever exhibited that kind of issue, either in the TR, the LT1s or the 3800 S/C.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Are you SURE your plug issues stem from the gas ? I used it exclusively for years and none of my plugs ever exhibited that kind of issue, either in the TR, the LT1s or the 3800 S/C.
I saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid: unconfirmed. :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts