Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Money Pit
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys-
Looks like we're moving to CA! Tentative move date is 11/8, and we'll need to get our two Subaru Outbacks out there. Anyone have a good (or bad) shipper? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I've used Montway and got Lucky!! By lucky I mean all of these companies are logistic companies you don't deal with the actual shipper until they get your car and deliver it.They basically contract your move out to haulers.

Stefan

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
:2cents: I used the E-bay shipper when the T-bird came from San Jose CA back in '07 - Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS). They offer the option for open or enclosed trailer, and were good to work with.
It was a reasonable cost via 2 key points:
1.) Car was already insured (their insurance was high $$).
2.) Did the drop-off and pick-up at their "terminals", eliminating the cost of the "last mile" delivery.
Good luck with everything.
Mark

·
Money Pit
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Tough finding good home movers -- all of the big companies have horror stories associated with them! Montway looks to have great reviews. I'll check with them and DAS. Thanks,

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
We just used Mackie Moving Systems (Professional Movers – Mackie Moving Company | Mackie Group of Companies
) to get an engineless car from Kansas to Ottawa, Ontario for $2600 CDN - that included customs, admin, importation, taxes, A/C duty, and labour for pushing the car around. Within the US it would be a lot cheaper I'd suspect...

You can see pics of the rig they brought it on here: The All About My 1980 Pontiac Le Mans Station Wagon Thread...

It did take them 4-6 weeks to arrange pick up and drop off as they needed to fill the truck before moving the cars (makes perfect business sense).

Another member used Red Carpet Auto Transport with some success ($500 from Maryland to Buffalo) and there is also uship.com (like eBay for shipping).

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I used montway from NJ to CA... like people have said they are just a logistics company- they buy your contract, send it to a subcontract and pay them.

the 2 guys who came to get my GTO were scary looking Russians. they loaded it onto the bottom of the car carrier, when it got to the buyer in CA it was on the top but she asked me where they loaded it because its extra to be ontop. im guessing these guys shuffled the "top cars" where the next to be dropped of-she complained and got back like 300$

just make sure you or someone you trust can watch it be loaded and unloaded, also when they do their damage assessment- be an ******* and check everything they mark down- I made them redo it because they listed a bunch of phantom scratches and dents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.