Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I put my engine back in the car, I've had a bad oil leak. I first noticed it during the cam breakin. Valve covers are dry; back of the intake is dry, and turbo oil feed block is dry. I thought the leak was caused by overtightenting the oil pan gasket (cork). There is a lot of oil along the seam of the ps gasket and the floor has a straight line of drips right below the ps oil pan gasket. This is the second gasket and it is not too tight.

Here's what I'm wondering: Right after the install, I found the starter was cracked at both bolts. When we were installing the engine, we had trouble mating it up with the trans and the motor and trans got jammed up a little. There's no visable damage on the pan whatsoever, but I'm wondering if it got bent during the install. Comments welcome.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
It's possible but not likely. I have beat the crap out of oil pans and never got a leak in the pan except one. The only place I can think you would have a problem would be behind the starter if anywhere. Use carb cleaner to clean the area good first.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All along the ps oil pan/gasket mating surface it is wet and forms a parallel line of drips on the floor just below. I don't know how the starter got damaged, so I'm thinking maybe whatever did in the starter, messed up the oil pan too.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
If you want to borrow my spare, pay shipping and I box it up. it has the metal shim/spacer on it to spread the torque that goes around the pan.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. That's very generous of you, but I think I may have a source here. :)

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
Chris,

Check all the bolts in the front cover. Also check your intake gaskets in the front and rear to see if they are dry.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NOCOOLER said:
Chris,

Check all the bolts in the front cover. Also check your intake gaskets in the front and rear to see if they are dry.
Intake front and rear, front cover, valve covers, all seem to be dry.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Check the larger bolt by the oil filter..my 83 likes to leak there and thefan pushs it down the right side.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked all around oil filter, etc. All dry.

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
Not the rear main seal?

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
raregn said:
Not the rear main seal?
Well that could be leaking too. But the really bad leak seems to be along the seam of the pan to block from front to rear. Nothing higher up is wet so I've eliminated valve covers, intake and turbo feed block. I have another pan coming tomorrow.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Chris after all the this work you will be a GN guru on parts swapping/pulling. Open a shop :headbang: OK back under car to finish pulling IC to clean it..this SUCKS :yup:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ttype83 said:
Chris after all the this work you will be a GN guru on parts swapping/pulling. Open a shop :headbang: OK back under car to finish pulling IC to clean it..this SUCKS :yup:
I used to hate pulling the stock IC until I started pulling the fan first - no more little screws. Most of my little screw holes on the IC were stripped anyway.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just go to the hardware store and buy the next size bigger. Either number 8 or number 10.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts