Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says I have a 87 GN that has been sitting for nearly 10 years. What are some of the things I should do before I even attempt to start it?

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
I just did a TTA .. new fuel pump, inj, flush the lines , coil pack and ign module (used) , plugs and wires.. changed the oil and filter .. took the cam sensor out and primed the motor for a while ..rotating it every now and them .. started right up ..good battery of course :cheers: :sw:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
I just did that to my latest hot air Riv. Only I had to replace the fuel tank since I couldn't clean all of the rust out of it. Here's a quick run down on what I did.
Drop/replaced fuel tank.
Cleaned out all of the old fuel out of tank.
Replaced the fuel pump and sending unit.
Disconnected fuel lines from fuel rail,removed fuel filter. Blew air through lines to clear out any restrictions.
Replace fuel filter.
Removed fuel rail and injectors. Soaked injectors in GM top engine cleaner. Sea Foam works too. Becarefull, old injectors can break and sometimes the plastic parts are cracked. Inspect very carefully.
Reinstalled rail assembly using new o-rings on the lines and injectors.
Replaced all of the rubber vacuum hoses.
Drained and cleaned out cooling system.
Oil and filter change. I skipped the prime. I let it turn over with no ignition since I had a good oil pressure light.
Fresh spark plugs. Note the condition of the old plugs.
New battery.
I also ran some FI cleaner with the fresh gas through the system to clean out any gum and varnish left.

I love these SFI cars. This car sat for over 5 years. After I confirmed it had oil pressure it kicked right over and idled without any issues. To bad one of the previous owners F!'d up the WG actuator. I was looking forward to blowing out the dry rotted tires. BTW replace those too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys Ill get on that and let you all know how she runs. Should I be concerened abuot the turbo at all or any of the gaskets such as valve cover gaskets and the such for dry rotting?

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
You'll definately find out if any of the turbo seals have dried up. The easiest way to find out is to see how she runs. :yup: Good luck man. Don't skimp on anything, you want this to be a successful run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i wont skimp im a perfectionist when it comes to my cars. so Ill keep you all updated on how she runs.

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
how about some pics? good luck on the car!! :6:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts