Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
arkansasfiddler
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am having an extreme prob. with launching. can get about 3# boost off the line. i may have messed up when i changed from a stock turbo to a te60. here in ark we run 1/8 mile tracks. i believe for the first 50 feet or so a ford pinto would be ahead, after that boost comes on strong (22#), no knock. speed in the 1/8 is around 90 mph, most of which is gatherd up the last 2/3 of the track. et is high 8's-low 9,s (bad). converter is stock. car is a 65000 mi 87 gn, smc alk., power plate, 3 in dp with dump, accufab fp reg., hotwired walb., scanmaster, rear seat/front braces, stock injectors, times were with 1/4 tank (1/2 vp113 and 93 oct pump gas), alk starts spraying at 15#. also another possible mistake was getting 255/15 mt dr's (24 in tall). no knock. if the turbo is in fact too big would a restricted inlet bell help? would a small shot of spray at launch help? i know yall need scanmaster numbers (will get). believe me any help will be appreciated. ([email protected] or post if u wish)

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
The convertor is too tight for the 60 turbo. A 3000 to 3200 stall would be in the ballpark.

·
arkansasfiddler
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there any way to fix the prob. w/o a converter swap?

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
What version of TT alky chip do you have? 5.6 or 5.7? Tuning low gear in regards to fuel/timimg will help somewhat with your issue...but a convertor swap is almost mandatory.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
The orifices in the Y connection vacuum hose have 2 diameters. If you reversed them...it won't boost oved 10 pounds.

·
arkansasfiddler
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
once the car gets going i have 22-23 # boost

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Erics 5.7 alky chip has an "aggressive" mode for low gear timing.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
once the car gets going i have 22-23 # boost
Hoses are correct. You can try tuning for low gear if you have PL...but you honestly need a convertor swap.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
What beachbum is writing about your convertor is correct. It needs to be changed for a higher stall. Once that is changed your car will not have the lag anymore.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think I have this same dilemma with my TE44 but I'm still uncertain of the issue because I have no real world data at the track to study. I'm betting that when you stomp on it the car doesn't break lose but just squats down and then all of a sudden starts going like a mad man.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
I think I have this same dilemma with my TE44 but I'm still uncertain of the issue because I have no real world data at the track to study. I'm betting that when you stomp on it the car doesn't break lose but just squats down and then all of a sudden starts going like a mad man.
If you have a D5 convertor in the car it should still work decent off the line with the 44 with a Garrett .63 exhaust housing. Tuning low gear fuel/timing...is the key...and Erics new 5.7 alky chip has low gear timing "aggressive" mode.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'll have to tap into that more with my powerlogger tuning.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
I'll have to tap into that more with my powerlogger tuning.
Slide under your car and confirm what convertor is in it. If it's a D5 from the factory it'll have 5's embossed around the circumference.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I ran a best 60ft of 1.61 on the stock converter with my TE44 and a PTE .63 housing.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
is there any way to fix the prob. w/o a converter swap?
no.. change the converter like was said a few times before.

you check for header leaks? i got a 44 now i can flat punch mine off the line it might chirp but wont spin off the line.. once it comes up on boost it'll do everything but stay straight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.