Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my experiences with using these plugs. I had a horrible experience basically. Popping, surging, backfiring, when into the boost. Also showed big knock (10*) and the O2 readings via DS were all screwed up... showing WAY lean and all over the place.

I bought them b/c the gnttype site says to use the Autolite23's for mid 12sec cars and under. I gapped them at .032.

I put my old R43TS's (.032 gap) back in and went for a blast and everything was back to normal. Normal O2's, no knock and no surging.

What causes this? Should I try the R42TS eventhough it crosses references to the Autolite23's?? I believe I have tried R42TS's a while back and had similar results (surging at WOT)..

What gives?

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I tried them once and they ran like s#@t. I have been using AC CR42TS(truck plug) for many years with no problems. They handle boost up to infinity

------------------

ED BAKER
new times soon.87-T-TYPE, T49,Bluetops,MM210Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is interesting. When I was running my nitroused ‘stang I tried 6 sets of Autolites at different heat ranges throughout the years and never, ever could get those plugs to work. Popping , missing, etc. So I switched to Champions and never had a problem. All I’ve ever heard to use for these Turbo cars are the Autolites 22/23’s so I’m using the 22’s. I prefer Champion plugs myself, but if someone recommends an AC for my application I’ll give them a try! So an AC plug CR42TS may be worth trying!!
I feel like we’re making a little progress.

This brings a
to my face!!

Kevin

------------------
87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BOOST 25-26 LBS (YEP OVERKILL FOR COMBO), BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, TE44, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.
http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only use 23 Autolite with a combination above 23 lbs boost. They are a very cold plug and will foul easily if driven around on for racing only. Stick with a 24 for your combination.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Everyone in the Sy/Ty community swears by the AC CR42TS, from stock to 10 second trucks. I know we're not the same, but I do know my plugs aren't too cold for my stock truck.

------------------
Christian Dionne
Sy #1252
Orlando, FL
[email protected]

·
Registered
279 Posts
Plug Correction: I am posting this twice in 2 different threads as a correction to something I mis-stated.

I tried to verify which plugs I had been running with no luck. According to my notes and some scribbles on some paper, I noted that I had AC 22’s in during racing. I called the parts store and they have no record of these although they do have the 23’s. I went and pulled a plug out but I had the street plugs in. So my notes may be incorrect with this matter since now I have no idea what was in the car..
Plugs were always a “trade secret” running N2O and I can’t believe I screwed this up but I must have..

Sorry for the confusion…

Kevin

------------------
87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BOOST 25-26 LBS (YEP OVERKILL FOR COMBO), BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, TE44, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.
http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Following the lead of Lawrence Conley, I have been using 23s and 24s for years. I have never had a problem with them. Almost sounds like you crossed two wires except you would have noticed that at idle....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ditto what Steve said. I used Autolite 23's for years in my "everyday" driven 10 sec.GN & never had a problem at all. Used the AC's a few times also with no problems but used the Autolites 95% of the time. Take care, Jay.

------------------
Jay Jones
87' WE-4 "stock" for now:) Former owner of "IB-QWK"-9 sec. GN.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts