Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed rebuilt engine and I have a bad miss. I installed a 206 comp cam and lifter kit, do I need to install another chip to adjust to this? Or is this something else. I cannot find a vacuum leak anywhere. Please help..

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Did you do the MAF tap test?
Did you install new plugs..are they gapped at .035?
Are your plug wires good?
Is your ign mod and coil pack good?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Where is the miss? Idle, wot?

Cam sensor installed the right way and not 180 out?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not done any test yet, car ran fine before rebuild, except for head gasket prob. it misses at all rpms but real bad at idle. I adjusted the cam sensor with a volt meter and the lowest reading I could get it to drop to is 0.06 is this good or do you think it is backwards?

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
If the cam sensor is backward (180* out) it will still read the same on a voltmeter but it will be set on the top of the exhaust stroke of the #1 cylinder instead of the compression stroke. If you think you may have made this mistake you can take the DS valve cover off and rotate the engine to TDC on the #1 cylinder and verify that both valves are closed....then do the cam sensor setting procedure.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Here is a method posted by Chuck Leeper...you can use your meter rather than the test lite.

Bring the engine to TDC on the compression stroke.. BOTH valves on #1 closed. Continue to rotate to 25* ATDC.
Look at the cam sensor gear. there's a dot on it near the bottom. Install the sensor w/ the dot facing the pass. fender and the wires in the cap are pointing towards the dr headlite. Once the gear meshes w/ the cam gear, you should be close to the sensor bottoming in the cover.[ A little "sneaky cream on the o'ring helps!!] If it's still up a bit and the gears are meshed,[you can't turn the sensor shaft], it's OK to bump the engine a bit to get the oil pump shaft to mesh into the bottom of the sensor gear.Once this is done, put the cap on, and hook up the indicator lite. Turn the sensor CLOCKWISE until the lite goes out, turn it COUNTER CLOCK until it just lites. I then continue CCW about 1/8 to 1/4" and lock it down. [Lite should still be on]

HTH,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts